LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

GpNU2205 bearing

Technical help for Series one, two and three Lambrettas. Models include the Li, Li Special, TV, SX, GP, Serveta and API/SIL models

GpNU2205 bearing

Postby ULC Soulagent » Sat May 09, 2020 3:27 pm

What’s everyone take on these, do you prefer the plastic cage or metal cage or do you have a brand preference?
ULC Soulagent

Re: GpNU2205 bearing

Postby vegansydney » Sat May 09, 2020 4:24 pm

I've heard, but have no evidence to confirm, that the Koyo NU2205 has an extra roller. Can anyone confirm?

From experience the Koyo 6305 has one extra ball (8 instead of 7), and is my bearing of choice for the drive side.
vegansydney

Postby ULC Soulagent » Sat May 09, 2020 7:28 pm

I can confirm that the Koyo Nu 2205 has one less bearing( metal cage) than the other ones that I have, Race-Tour, Fag, NTE :shock:
ULC Soulagent

Postby Warkton Tornado No.1 » Sat May 09, 2020 7:33 pm

The more compactness that some materials, such as phenolic resins & certain plastics, allow, in turn can amount to greater dynamic capacities. Those benefits may be in speed ratings or load capability, or a combination of both. In short, because alternatives to metallic cages negate the need for riveting in their assembly, or are not so reliant upon their share of lubrication, an extra rolling element can be squeezed in.

As far as I am aware, in the case of the NU2205, there will be a suffix 'E' to denote the greater capability.

From experience, they are fine in the crankshaft assembly, though the bog standard type of good manufacture is never going to be threatened by the load encountered.

I hope that helps :)
Warkton Tornado No.1

Postby ULC Soulagent » Sat May 09, 2020 8:08 pm

Warkton Tornado No.1 wrote:The more compactness that some materials, such as phenolic resins & certain plastics, allow, in turn can amount to greater dynamic capacities. Those benefits may be in speed ratings or load capability, or a combination of both. In short, because alternatives to metallic cages negate the need for riveting in their assembly, or are not so reliant upon their share of lubrication, an extra rolling element can be squeezed in.

As far as I am aware, in the case of the NU2205, there will be a suffix 'E' to denote the greater capability.

From experience, they are fine in the crankshaft assembly, though the bog standard type of good manufacture is never going to be threatened by the load encountered.

I hope that helps :)

Cheers WT1 ;)
ULC Soulagent

Postby vegansydney » Fri May 15, 2020 3:52 pm

ULC Soulagent wrote:I can confirm that the Koyo Nu 2205 has one less bearing( metal cage) than the other ones that I have, Race-Tour, Fag, NTE :shock:

Great to know! Thanks for clarifying.

I just saw this on the Oiltech site stating that the Koyo NU2205 has an extra roller. Possibly they're confusing the Koyo driveside with the mag side?
vegansydney

Postby ULC Soulagent » Sat May 16, 2020 10:09 am

vegansydney wrote:
ULC Soulagent wrote:I can confirm that the Koyo Nu 2205 has one less bearing( metal cage) than the other ones that I have, Race-Tour, Fag, NTE :shock:

Great to know! Thanks for clarifying.

I just saw this on the Oiltech site stating that the Koyo NU2205 has an extra roller. Possibly they're confusing the Koyo driveside with the mag side?

Paul sells two types,Nu2205 with metal cage mostly for the casa engine(mag side) and Nu2205E which has the plastic cage and this one contains the extra bearing over the metal type ;)
ULC Soulagent

Postby vegansydney » Sat May 16, 2020 3:14 pm

Thanks! Everyday is a school day here :D
vegansydney

Postby HxPaul » Sun May 17, 2020 8:44 am

I always use SKF bearings for both the mag side and drive side.The mag side bearing is a plastic cage.
HxPaul

Postby Warkton Tornado No.1 » Sun May 17, 2020 1:54 pm

HxPaul wrote:I always use SKF bearings for both the mag side and drive side.The mag side bearing is a plastic cage.

Many years ago, the major, serious, 'reputable' manufacturers of bearings got their heads together & formed an alliance where, should a particular bearing company be extremely 'tuned in' for the production of a particular type & further economies could be made, they would be entrusted with the whole group's requirements, but labelled & packaged to suit.

So, for example, in the case of taper roller bearings, most will be produced @ mainly one place.

All of the manufacturers then stand to benefit from the economies of scale.

So my understanding is that any genuine European & Japanese etc bearing of reputable manufacture manufactured within those countries of origin is likely to be identical with exception to any trade names, packaging & the odd 'signature' element which may be cage colours, seal types etc. As the result, my experience & trust is that FAG, KOYO, NTN, SKF etc will all have had their NU2205's made in the same facility.

It's a lot like Weetabix producing breakfast cereals for supermarket's own brands. Different but the same.

Problems occur when any of the 'reputable' group can no longer ignore the further cost reductions that are so tempting to them. if they include, or shift wholesale, production to third World economies, they can literally make a killing. (Just as Apple has allegedly done where bars are fitted in factory Windows to prevent the suicide of workers that would prefer to throw themselves to their deaths). Increasingly, 'genuine' bearings & other goods are coming to market with trustworthy names, such as SKF, that are made in India.

I have never bought bearings via a dealer or any source where the parameters that I think best are likely to be in question.

On the issue of maintaining quality of supply alone with competitive costing, a power transmission stockist will endeavour to sell to you @ a competitive price whilst upholding their reputation. It's the same with chain & seals, though seals tend to be good as the majority supplied by Lambretta parts suppliers are Rhondama.
Warkton Tornado No.1

Return to Series 1, 2 & 3