LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

No Spark no matter what I do!

Technical help for Series one, two and three Lambrettas. Models include the Li, Li Special, TV, SX, GP, Serveta and API/SIL models

No Spark no matter what I do!

Postby Pompeydave » Sun May 10, 2020 4:55 pm

Hi everyone. I've got a bitsa Casa 186 engine I've built up for a mate that's running on an Li crankshaft. It's never going to anywhere other than pottering around town so I'm willing to chance the weaker crank. My issue is that whatever electronic ignition system I fit I get no spark. I tried a Motoplat setup first which was dead in every respect once I found out how to test it, and I'm now using a new Indian stator with an Indian flywheel and a known to be good CDI. I'm using a test bed to kick the engine over but I get nothing. I know the stator is good as I've tested it already. I've connected the red and white wires to from the stator to the corresponding terminals on the CDI, and the yellow wire from the CDI is connected back to earth on the engine case. The plug is obviously held to earth on the case also. Everything has been swapped out, i.e. CDI, HT lead and plug but to no avail- I still have no spark. I've disconnected the green wire from the on/off switch on the test bed in case that was faulty, but it still makes no difference.

The only thing I can think of is that maybe the pickup isn't at the same level as the prongs on the flywheel magnets? But before I start tearing it apart again has anyone got any suggestions as to what else could be causing the problem? Is there something obvious I've missed?
Pompeydave

Re: No Spark no matter what I do!

Postby MickYork » Sun May 10, 2020 5:06 pm

Sometimes the spark can't be seen (even in a garage, with doors closed and lights off).

The best way to double check if there is a spark is to put your finger in the suppressor cap and kick it over......painful but eliminates a lot of guess work.

Maybe try a different HT lead and plug first.
MickYork

Postby missing lynx » Sun May 10, 2020 5:31 pm

I'm a bit confused by the colours is the yellow the earth from the cdi and what have you done with the green from the stator? These questions assume it's a std electronic stator and cdi
Last edited by missing lynx on Sun May 10, 2020 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
missing lynx

Postby MickYork » Sun May 10, 2020 5:47 pm

Hmmm I dived in there with my first reply as I had a "no spark" issue on the IOM last year.

Agree with ML the yellow wire normally goes to the rectifier and the cdi should have red, white and green coming from the stator...….and an additional "kill" green wire going to the headset.
MickYork

Postby gp200ts1 » Sun May 10, 2020 6:57 pm

I think the yellow wire mentioned is the earth wire coming from the body of the cdi. As long as the white wire from the stator is plugged into the cdi the earth one is just a back up. I would be more concerned that there is no mention of where the green wire is from the stator.
gp200ts1

Postby coaster » Sun May 10, 2020 7:10 pm

gp200ts1 wrote:I think the yellow wire mentioned is the earth wire coming from the body of the cdi. As long as the white wire from the stator is plugged into the cdi the earth one is just a back up. I would be more concerned that there is no mention of where the green wire is from the stator.

+1
coaster

Postby Pompeydave » Mon May 11, 2020 9:35 pm

Ok, the yellow wire from the CDI is indeed going to earth against the engine casing. The green wire from the stator is hanging loose as I assumed that this causes the engine to cut out when it's earthed, is that right? If not, and I attach it to the CDI, do I then need another wire from the other CDI green terminal to the cut out switch?
Pompeydave

Postby missing lynx » Mon May 11, 2020 9:42 pm

The green from the stator needs to be plugged into the cdi then it should spark if you intend to start the engine then your will need a wire coming from the other green terminal on the cdi to use as a kill circuit it can either just be touched to earth to stop the engine or you can add an on off switch
Last edited by missing lynx on Mon May 11, 2020 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
missing lynx

Postby dscscotty » Mon May 11, 2020 9:44 pm

Hi there, what colour wires do you have on stator? Red/Green/White/Yellow?
dscscotty

Postby Pompeydave » Mon May 11, 2020 10:19 pm

Hi all, yes I have Red/Green/White/Yellow coming from the stator. I will try connecting the green wire to the CDI and report back.
Pompeydave

Postby Pompeydave » Mon May 11, 2020 10:39 pm

Yahoo! Connecting the Green gives me a nice fact clean spark! Many thanks guys, especially missing lynx and Captain Pugwash. Hopefully I'll get a run out of it tomorrow 8-)
Pompeydave

Postby missing lynx » Tue May 12, 2020 12:40 am

Great news it's always nice to hear when a problems solved
missing lynx

Postby HxPaul » Tue May 12, 2020 8:39 am

Pompeydave wrote:................ do I then need another wire from the other CDI green terminal to the cut out switch?

You should have a green wire that runs up your wiring loom,if not,a wire connected to your cdi and going to the cut out switch should be fitted.
HxPaul

Postby Pompeydave » Tue May 12, 2020 9:29 am

Yep, I have another wire from the other green CDI terminal to an on/off switch bolted to the frame of the test bed.
Pompeydave

Postby aby » Tue May 19, 2020 10:28 pm

I had trouble with seeing spark on my rebuild so bought a scootronics cdi with red and green led,s. when kicked over the green led lights up so you know power is getting through. Not cheap though
aby

Postby Pompeydave » Tue May 19, 2020 10:38 pm

Yeah, nice piece of kit- £51 though.
Pompeydave

Return to Series 1, 2 & 3