LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Vibration at throttling off.

Technical help for Series one, two and three Lambrettas. Models include the Li, Li Special, TV, SX, GP, Serveta and API/SIL models

Vibration at throttling off.

Postby Danbretta » Sat May 16, 2020 6:36 pm

Hi All,
Just came back from a ride out and noticed a vibration through handlebars and frame when throttling off and tick over. Cant really feel it under load. The engine has sounded a bit deeper tone the last time out. I have just re done the timing and can get no less than 21degrees BTDC (the stator has no more movement in it).
Could the vibrations be down to the flywheel or maybe a crank? I did replace the piston and rings (all allowances within tollerance).
Didnt know whether the deeper hollow sounding tone is normal for a standard 150 LiS.
Any advice much appreciated before I start stripping it down again.
Thanks.
Danbretta

Re: Vibration at throttling off.

Postby Nigel. S » Sat May 16, 2020 9:27 pm

Is vibration accompanied by a rattle sound? If so maybe small end bearing. do you get it when you throttle off to change gear?
Nigel. S

Postby Danbretta » Sat May 16, 2020 10:03 pm

I think there could well be a rattling sound, whether its link to throttling off I dont know , I'll take it round the block tomorrow and check.
Danbretta

Postby HxPaul » Sun May 17, 2020 8:34 am

Elongate the gaps that the three bolts sit in on the stator so you can get the stator to move more.Before you do this just check your exhaust hasn't come loose at the manifold.
HxPaul

Postby Danbretta » Sun May 17, 2020 5:12 pm

HxPaul, I think you were right with the exhaust. Stripping it down to take the cylinder off the exhaust nuts didnt need much to loosen them. By the look of the cowl it appears to have been blowing soot out theres traces in the flow areas at the front of the engine.

I have taken the piston and cylinder off just while I was at it. The piston looks to have some rubbing mark's on the side (piston slap?)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Danbretta

Postby Danbretta » Sun May 17, 2020 5:23 pm

I'll check the play in the crank later, does anyone know the tolerances for this? Side to side play. There is no movement forward and backwards on the crank so I'm hoping that bearing is ok.
Maybe a reborn and nw piston/rings required?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Danbretta

Postby Danbretta » Sun May 17, 2020 5:25 pm

Next pic
Danbretta

Return to Series 1, 2 & 3