LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Piston wear (Rebore ?)

Technical help for Series one, two and three Lambrettas. Models include the Li, Li Special, TV, SX, GP, Serveta and API/SIL models

Piston wear (Rebore ?)

Postby Danbretta » Wed May 20, 2020 5:29 pm

Are these marks on the piston signs that the cylinder needs a rebore or is there another issue I should be looking for.

The piston has been in the bike for around 200miles the piston and rings were new when installed along with the drive and magside bearings and seals (all good quality and care was taken installing them).

Also what are the tollerances for the conrod movenment (side to side)?

What is a decent make of piston to go fo, any recommendations? I was looking at the GOL ones but scooter restorations dont currently have stock of them. Due to the virus and restrictions I wouldnt have thought they will be getting stock anytime soon.

Any help would be much appreciated.

TIA
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Danbretta

Re: Piston wear (Rebore ?)

Postby MickYork » Wed May 20, 2020 6:06 pm

Do the marks correspond the stud holes ? What barrel is it ?
MickYork

Postby dscscotty » Wed May 20, 2020 8:14 pm

Assuming carb settings air/fuel/oil ratio/no air leaks/ timing correct etc? I'd suspect not enough clearance on piston to bore, you say its a new piston, did you check the clearance? although the piston size may correlate to the previous piston/bore quite often different makes of piston will measure up slightly different, also expansion rates etc The marks are slight nips, suggesting the bore clearance is not adequate, look for around 4" thou on (0.1mm), hope you get it sorted! ;)
dscscotty

Postby Danbretta » Wed May 20, 2020 9:14 pm

MickYork wrote:Do the marks correspond the stud holes ? What barrel is it ?

It's a standard barrel 150.
Danbretta

Postby Danbretta » Wed May 20, 2020 9:18 pm

I'm sure it was 0.1mm when I put it in, I'll go out and check it all again tomorrow. Timing was set up at 21 BTDC. Leak test was good too, I'll double check everything again and see what has changed or failed.
Danbretta

Postby dscscotty » Wed May 20, 2020 9:33 pm

retard the timing a little, 19 or 17ish
dscscotty

Postby Danbretta » Wed May 20, 2020 10:48 pm

I couldn't get any further than 21, I'll have to elongate the slots in the stator to rotate it further. Thanks.
Danbretta

Return to Series 1, 2 & 3