LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Gearbox shimming

Technical help for Series one, two and three Lambrettas. Models include the Li, Li Special, TV, SX, GP, Serveta and API/SIL models

Gearbox shimming

Postby Jeff t » Mon Jun 22, 2020 6:56 pm

Just fitted a new layshaft and gearbox 4 speed, I have shimmed up with a 1.9 shim and the gap was less than 0.04 but still spun freely. Ordered a 1.8mm shim assembled everything including the clutch nut and the gap is still only just 0.04 so the feeler gauge just nips up. The box is really free and I can select all gears by hand. So do i buy a 1.7 shim or will this be ok. I know the recommended is 0.07 but read some stuff that says if it’s free then a smaller gap is ok but Instinct tells me to re-shim but thought I’d get other views. Top end is Imola,
Jeff t

Re: Gearbox shimming

Postby Tractorman » Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:12 pm

If the gap was .04 and you put a thinner shim in but the gap remained the same perhaps the new shim the same thickness as the old one. Some of these aftermarket shims leave a lot to be desired, MB sell excellent shims that are correct.
Tractorman

Postby Jeff t » Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:01 pm

It was a Rimini shim and i compared the two by running my nail over it, the gap is bigger now but not 0.1 bigger, my question Is more would 0.04 be ok or re-shim with a 1.7 and increase the gap to 0.14.
Jeff t

Postby Tractorman » Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:16 am

If the tolerance is .07 then .04 is not enough.
Tractorman

Postby Jeff t » Tue Jun 23, 2020 1:36 pm

Thanks I’ve ordered the 1.7 shim
Jeff t

Postby Warkton Tornado No.1 » Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:38 pm

Jeff t wrote:Just fitted a new layshaft and gearbox 4 speed, I have shimmed up with a 1.9 shim and the gap was less than 0.04 but still spun freely. Ordered a 1.8mm shim assembled everything including the clutch nut and the gap is still only just 0.04 so the feeler gauge just nips up. The box is really free and I can select all gears by hand. So do i buy a 1.7 shim or will this be ok. I know the recommended is 0.07 but read some stuff that says if it’s free then a smaller gap is ok but Instinct tells me to re-shim but thought I’d get other views. Top end is Imola,

Something is amiss if varying the big shims sees no change in axial clearance.... :? It's almost as if there is only one feeler gauge available.

In any case, 0.04 ( 0.0016") is nearly just half of the recommended minimum. Three thou' (0.003") is the optimum IMHO. Any less & you run the risk of locking up the gearbox & not even your left 'trigger' hand will save you by pulling the clutch :!: There are one or two old scooter racers that can verify what gearbox lock-up is like.

Gearboxes can take a lot of time & patience to set up. Over time, you may find the need to swap layshafts, gearbox end plates (including the bushes pressed in) & amass dozens of shims, some ground flat again after use, ideally measured up & engraved with sizes to make selection easier.
Warkton Tornado No.1

Postby Jeff t » Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:12 pm

Thanks for the advice I am pretty certain there’s nothing a miss had the scooter 20 years just decided to take the Indian box out and fit a casa 4 speed, all assembled and the gap was spot on, however I used a MB selector spring and it was a pig to change gears so decided to strip down and at the same time upgraded the layshaft to a casa one. I have already ordered the smaller shim so I’ll see how that pans out. Oh and the feeler gauge is the smallest I have hence why I refer to it twice.
Cheers
Jeff t

Postby tim_mason » Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:36 pm

my experience with Rimini shims is that you need to measure each one as the size etched on are generally incorrect ,
tim_mason

Postby Warkton Tornado No.1 » Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:54 pm

tim_mason wrote:my experience with Rimini shims is that you need to measure each one as the size etched on are generally incorrect ,

EVERYTHING needs checking, whether shims or petrol taps.

I have shims from many sources, but the engraved sizes are often wrong. That includes AFR, MB & SR's.

I automatically measure & engrave the size upon arrival of any shims :roll:
Warkton Tornado No.1

Postby Jeff t » Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:49 pm

All sorted now 1.7 shim used, good tip on the measuring although not being used I had a 1.9 shim that measured over 2mm. Also for info the Two Rimini shims are bang on as they are engraved. Thanks
Jeff t

Postby Fast n Furious » Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:27 pm

If you shim to 3 thou (0.075mm) or less, then you may experience difficulty selecting first gear on some boxes "from a standing start" until the gear oil has reached optimum temperature and viscosity.
I find that 5-6 thou (0.125mm - 0.150mm) to work best. Not always easy to do when the stock shims jump in multiple of 4 thou unless you have access to a surface grinder. :x .Therefore, 4-8 though is the best compromise.
12 thou can sometimes make the gearbox rattle a bit after a few thousand miles.
Fast n Furious

Return to Series 1, 2 & 3