LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Longer Barrel Studs

Technical help for Series one, two and three Lambrettas. Models include the Li, Li Special, TV, SX, GP, Serveta and API/SIL models

Longer Barrel Studs

Postby Granty » Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:29 pm

I'm changing the old S1 150 short barrel for a longer later model 150 barrel on a small block S1 engine. Will I have to change the original barrel studs for the longer ones to accomdate? Cheers G
Granty

Re: Longer Barrel Studs

Postby Knowledge » Thu Jul 09, 2020 7:34 am

I have never done this conversion, but the external difference between the SI and later barrels is that there is one extra fin beneath the exhaust port (4) when compared with the earlier barrel (3).

This might help you decide if there is enough spare thread at the top of the existing studs to accommodate a longer barrel.
Knowledge

Postby Granty » Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:05 am

Knowledge wrote:I have never done this conversion, but the external difference between the SI and later barrels is that there is one extra fin beneath the exhaust port (4) when compared with the earlier barrel (3).

This might help you decide if there is enough spare thread at the top of the existing studs to accommodate a longer barrel.

Ah -- got it now -- I just saw studs online that were for s2 & s3 only -- that'll be the reason -- thanks for that
Granty

Postby CHRIS in MARGATE » Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:17 am

Or PX studs if you can't get the right ones.
CHRIS in MARGATE

Postby Granty » Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:20 pm

CHRIS in MARGATE wrote:Or PX studs if you can't get the right ones.

Thanks Chris, I had spare studs in the shed and will swap them over now.
Granty

Postby Granty » Fri Jul 10, 2020 6:59 pm

Knowledge wrote:I have never done this conversion, but the external difference between the SI and later barrels is that there is one extra fin beneath the exhaust port (4) when compared with the earlier barrel (3).

Raises another question -- will I need to get a different cylinder head cowling to fit over the head and the longer barrel?
Granty

Postby Scooterdude » Fri Jul 10, 2020 7:42 pm

Granty wrote:

Raises another question -- will I need to get a different cylinder head cowling to fit over the head and the longer barrel?

No but you may need a cowling packer from Darrell Taylor.
Scooterdude

Postby Granty » Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:28 pm

Scooterdude wrote:
Granty wrote:

No but you may need a cowling packer from Darrell Taylor.

Thanks for the info -- I'll check what I need when the cowling goes on - G
Granty

Return to Series 1, 2 & 3