LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Sava/Mitas MC18 tyres -opinions please

Technical help for Series one, two and three Lambrettas. Models include the Li, Li Special, TV, SX, GP, Serveta and API/SIL models

Sava/Mitas MC18 tyres -opinions please

Postby Knowledge » Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:15 pm

What are these like?

Do they wear well?

Are they a pig to fit to SIP tubeless rims?

I currently have SIP Performers, but fancy a change.

Thanks
Knowledge

Re: Sava/Mitas MC18 tyres -opinions please

Postby coaster » Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:49 pm

Easy to fit due to being very thin and flimsy; I bought one a few years ago with the intension of using it on the rear of my Jet but it turned out to be of 2 ply construction and the side walls had no stiffness at all. I ended up putting it on the front and had no issues with it in terms of grip but then it started delaminating and developed odd lumps in the tread area. That was noticed at Shipston and it got me home ok but personally I wouldnt use them again, Dunlop Scootsmarts are good, I've had a few of those but will be giving Hidenhau a go next.
coaster

Postby dscscotty » Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:20 pm

Mitas are the choice for most racers, we run MC35's dry in supersoft/soft/mediums compounds and MC20(soft) wets, both are excellent in both grip and reliability, I run MC20's on road with again great reliability, a few pals run other Mitas 18's etc and all speak highly
dscscotty

Postby Knowledge » Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:12 am

Hmm. Two rather different opinions from two people whose opinions I trust.

I might pop over to AFR this morning and take a look (I am currently in N Yorks - it would be a bit of a hike from Ipswich)
Knowledge

Postby coaster » Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:57 am

It was because of the scooter racers endorsement that I bought the Sava and also that it had a block pattern similar to the old Weatherman. As I said, I had no issues with grip but didnt like the thin sidewalls. It had a high speed rating but low load rating and of the two I consider the load rating far more important on a road going tyre used on the rear especially for long distance riding loaded up with camping equipment etc (not such an issue on the front).

Good idea going to have a look and see before buying
coaster

Postby Tractorman » Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:25 am

dscscotty wrote:Mitas are the choice for most racers, we run MC35's dry in supersoft/soft/mediums compounds and MC20(soft) wets, both are excellent in both grip and reliability, I run MC20's on road with again great reliability, a few pals run other Mitas 18's etc and all speak highly

I run MC 20 all year around on my solo they grip well in the wet, no good on the combo though, too soft!
Tractorman

Postby Toddy » Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:54 am

I run MC20,s do quite a few miles great grippy tyre
Toddy

Postby Rich Oswald » Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:28 am

I run MC 20'S on four scooters all weathers on standard rims, SIP rims and AF rims. No fitting issues with any.

Rich'
Rich Oswald

Location: Wiseman From The East (East Of The Pennines That Is)

Postby coaster » Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:00 pm

Just had a check and the tyre I had was an MC20 Monsun which according to MB is a snow and mud tyre. They say the side walls are nice and strong making fitting difficult. The side walls on mine were very thin and I had no trouble fitting it to the Zip front wheel on the front of my jet with a couple of levers.....the Conti Twist Sport that I replaced it with was a different story, so to the Dunlops as they have 3 ply sidewalls rather than 2. Maybe its just my tyre, it could have had pot hole damage in its life and under/over inflation, who knows :?
coaster

Postby Warkton Tornado No.1 » Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:19 pm

I don't now if this helps, but I've only ever run the MC20 Monsuns for wet track use, for which they are ideal. Pressures would probably be no greater than 17/27, allowing the heat generated to increase the pressure.

Whilst there may be a vast difference between track & road use, I would have thought them not suitable for anybody wanting to 'press on' or a 'B' road user @ this time of year. Thankfully, we are all different. A hard road rider would come a cropper in no time on a warm day.

One of the best tyres IMO are Duro that could be trusted wet or dry on the front of a track bike. 'Wet' not torrential. Tried one on the back @ Darley Moor & it overheated after two laps of practice, so that may well translate as being ideal for road..... :)
Warkton Tornado No.1

Postby Knowledge » Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:36 pm

So I popped into AFR with the intention of walking out with a pair of MC18 only to discover that they have been on back-order with their supplier for three months or more, so no-go.

In fact, AFR had very little choice but I needed something and opted for the MC20. 93mph and 430lb load rating. They are, apparently, easy to fit to tubeless rims.

I also had a long chat with Ben (at least I think it was Ben. He was wearing a mask), about forthcoming products.

I think you are going to like what is coming, but he doesn’t want it banded-about as this will create too much interest ahead of production, but it will be worth waiting for.
Knowledge

Postby Tractorman » Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:49 am

Knowledge wrote:So I popped into AFR with the intention of walking out with a pair of MC18 only to discover that they have been on back-order with their supplier for three months or more, so no-go.

In fact, AFR had very little choice but I needed something and opted for the MC20. 93mph and 430lb load rating. They are, apparently, easy to fit to tubeless rims.

I also had a long chat with Ben (at least I think it was Ben. He was wearing a mask), about forthcoming products.

I think you are going to like what is coming, but he doesn’t want it banded-about as this will create too much interest ahead of production, but it will be worth waiting for.

'Popped in' was this on your way home from the shop?
Tractorman

Postby Knowledge » Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:36 pm

I was staying in a village just outside York David, though it was still a 40 min drive in each direction, but thanks for thinking I was prepared to pop into East Heslerton from Suffolk.
Knowledge

Return to Series 1, 2 & 3