LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Carello Bulb Holder Position/Dip Filament Reflector

Technical help for Series one, two and three Lambrettas. Models include the Li, Li Special, TV, SX, GP, Serveta and API/SIL models

Carello Bulb Holder Position/Dip Filament Reflector

Postby nsaints » Sat Aug 08, 2020 10:00 am

I've been looking at improving my head lamp on my SX, by remaking some of the bullet connections and fixing a piss poor earth

Can I confirm the mounting position of the Carello bulb holder
Should the cables/connections be at the top relative to the head lamp, or the bottom

Checking the position of the dip filament reflector I think the the reflector should be above the filament
this makes the position of the Carello bulb holder connections to be at the bottom - as per the image below - agreed?

Sticky's latest manual does seem to have contradicting images on the mounting position :?
Page 138 seems to show the bulb holder mounted upside down (wire connections towards spring clip)
Page 140 suggests the bulb holder the right way up when compared to the head lamp above (wire connections towards the adjuster)

BTW: I've potentially been running the bulb holder upside down for years, with the dip beam working the opposite way around :(

nsaints

Re: Carello Bulb Holder Position/Dip Filament Reflector

Postby Warkton Tornado No.1 » Sat Aug 08, 2020 1:48 pm

In the image the bulb fitted dictates the orientation of the whole assembly. The internal dip reflector should be on the underside so that the reflected light from the shell will be aiming downwards.

Out of interest, how do you plan to upgrade the light? The HID conversions require non-fluted (OEM type) glass so you will be a little limited to alternatives.

I acquired a couple of fan cooled LED's from a Sally Army Charity Shop that I will try for how little they cost. They work on positive or negative earth but the fan will change direction, so I might have to change the positive 12 v conversion. I'm intending to squeeze a Chinese rectifier into an OEM gutted rectifier housing with an alloy heat sink plate replacing the steel original.
Warkton Tornado No.1

Postby nsaints » Sat Aug 08, 2020 2:29 pm

Yes, the picture isn't super clear. but there is a filament under the metal shield that is in the image
I'll go out tonight at dark and test

to your question - I wasn't planning on upgrading
I've a standard lamp (same as image) on my TV and that's far better and than the halogen on the GP
The TV brightness is more than adequate

I'm hopeful the SX is the same after my wiring fixes - and with the lamp fitted the correct way now :oops:
nsaints

Postby Andyf » Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:32 pm

i thought the tabs were either staggered in height or one tab was wider than the other, ensuring that the bulb couldn't be fitted wrong. Sometimes i wonder about my memory :oops:
Andyf

Postby roli150lam » Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:47 am

Andyf wrote:i thought the tabs were either staggered in height or one tab was wider than the other, ensuring that the bulb couldn't be fitted wrong. Sometimes i wonder about my memory :oops:

I have never seen a BA20D light bulb that isn't as you have described.
roli150lam

Postby Warkton Tornado No.1 » Thu Aug 13, 2020 12:23 pm

Andyf wrote:i thought the tabs were either staggered in height or one tab was wider than the other, ensuring that the bulb couldn't be fitted wrong. Sometimes i wonder about my memory :oops:

roli150lam wrote:

I have never seen a BA20D light bulb that isn't as you have described.

You are both correct, but now my interpretation of the OP is that the complete bulb holder/connection block can be fitted upside down into the headlamp shell.
Warkton Tornado No.1

Postby nsaints » Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:51 pm

Yep this is correct
The lamp only fits in one way due to the tabs. But it’s possible to mount the holder the correct way up or upside down to the headlamp

I still haven’t managed to test yet
nsaints

Postby Andyf » Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:13 am

With speedo fitted?
Andyf

Postby roli150lam » Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:28 pm

nsaints wrote:Yep this is correct
The lamp only fits in one way due to the tabs. But it’s possible to mount the holder the correct way up or upside down to the headlamp

I still haven’t managed to test yet

Then mounting the junction box upside down the dip beam will be pointing skywards.
roli150lam

Return to Series 1, 2 & 3