LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Worst job in the world

Technical help for Series one, two and three Lambrettas. Models include the Li, Li Special, TV, SX, GP, Serveta and API/SIL models

Worst job in the world

Postby Knowledge » Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:08 pm

I have just fitted new top and bottom bearing races into a Li steering column. God, I hate that job.

Have you any other nomination for horrible jobs on a S1, 2 or 3 Lambretta? What’s worse than the steering column bearings?
Knowledge

Re: Worst job in the world

Postby Solid Air » Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:45 pm

Any job I can't complete due to gremlins, crap spares, unforeseen complications or part requirements causing the scooter to be out of use and off the road :x
Solid Air

Postby missing lynx » Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:35 pm

Serveta lynx wiring
missing lynx

Postby Nigel. S » Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:56 pm

I have a great way of stripping all the paint off fuel tank......

Fit it.
Nigel. S

Postby Storkfoot » Fri Aug 14, 2020 5:22 pm

missing lynx wrote:Serveta lynx wiring

It is a good while since I did tackle one but, yes from memory, I shall give you that one :)
Storkfoot

Postby Warkton Tornado No.1 » Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:06 pm

Working on somebody else's engine supplied with the bike that requires far more work than foreseen due to bad crankshafts, cross-threaded spark plugs, stripped threads, bodges, Rolon chains, MB plastic cage rear hub bearings, no gearbox oil etc. Being told that it runs but, when questioned on the subject, finding out that it never did.

Then being unable to simply disregard all of the life threatening issues prior to testing. Seriously: broken rims, missing hub nuts, mis-fitted brake cable clevises, broken front brake levers, too short a rear damper etc etc
Warkton Tornado No.1

Postby Storkfoot » Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:39 pm

Warkton Tornado No.1 wrote:Working on somebody else's engine supplied with the bike that requires far more work than foreseen due to bad crankshafts, cross-threaded spark plugs, stripped threads, bodges, Rolon chains, MB plastic cage rear hub bearings, no gearbox oil etc. Being told that it runs but, when questioned on the subject, finding out that it never did.

Then being unable to simply disregard all of the life threatening issues prior to testing. Seriously: broken rims, missing hub nuts, mis-fitted brake cable clevises, broken front brake levers, too short a rear damper etc etc

A bit harsh, WT. I did jet wash the casing for you first :|
Storkfoot

Postby Warkton Tornado No.1 » Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:44 pm

Storkfoot wrote:
Warkton Tornado No.1 wrote:Working on somebody else's engine supplied with the bike that requires far more work than foreseen due to bad crankshafts, cross-threaded spark plugs, stripped threads, bodges, Rolon chains, MB plastic cage rear hub bearings, no gearbox oil etc. Being told that it runs but, when questioned on the subject, finding out that it never did.

A bit harsh, WT. I did jet wash the casing for you first :|

Hmmm. But how was I supposed to fit your Lambretta with a P200 engine? I'm not like Ebay where you type in a precisely worded description of what you are looking for & end up browsing a load of similarly worded HGV trailer mud flaps, or worse, parts intended for a mobility scooter...... :roll:
Warkton Tornado No.1

Postby CHRIS in MARGATE » Sat Aug 15, 2020 8:54 am

The very worst job has to be down to the original engine design. Changing the drive side oil seal. So many components to remove and reinstall just to get to that blighter.
CHRIS in MARGATE

Postby landybretta » Sat Aug 15, 2020 11:51 am

Trying to get a tyre off a SIP rim.
Trying to put a tyre on a SIP rim.
Trying to find someone who has the equipment to do it instead.
landybretta

Postby gaz_powell » Sat Aug 15, 2020 12:53 pm

Any of those.... "five minute" jobs......
gaz_powell

Postby al pushpak » Sat Aug 15, 2020 1:27 pm

Rear brake shoes..... hub off! fit new shoes,try to fit hub ! hub off! skim/sand/file shoes ,try to fit hub !! hub off! repeat, repeat,repeat etc..... :roll:
al pushpak

Postby Scooterslag » Sat Aug 15, 2020 4:06 pm

simple thing I know but always found fitting a lambretta exhaust a bit of a t**t of a job
Scooterslag

Postby Scooterslag » Sat Aug 15, 2020 4:07 pm

gaz_powell wrote:Any of those.... "five minute" jobs......

Yes a five minute job will take six hours but I've found a bigger job will sometimes be done in a hour - go figure... :?
Scooterslag

Postby MickYork » Sat Aug 15, 2020 4:47 pm

Layshaft "O" ring..........25p part requiring full clutch and gearbox strip down.
MickYork

Postby Paul Slack » Sat Aug 22, 2020 1:37 pm

Cleaning the interior of old fuel tanks.
Paul Slack

Return to Series 1, 2 & 3