LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Exhaust fitting

Technical help for Series one, two and three Lambrettas. Models include the Li, Li Special, TV, SX, GP, Serveta and API/SIL models

Exhaust fitting

Postby Revvers » Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:04 pm

Hello all. Is there a ‘knack’ to fitting a clubman exhaust without removing the engine? The cowl seems to get in the way to get the nuts on the manifold to do up securely. Is it just a bit of a faff??
Revvers

Re: Exhaust fitting

Postby Warkton Tornado No.1 » Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:35 pm

Hmmm.

There is a knack, but the design by Innocenti with only two M7 fixings is already a compromise IMHO. For that reason & because I prefer to match ports (despite any recent opinions questioning the worth) I think the engine is best dropped, even if the cables etc are left connected. In all instances I use solid copper gaskets to make a leakproof joint with bathroom silicone & to use as a means of matching. Scooter Restorations used to sell them, so I'm not the only belt & braces nutter.....

However, seeing as you asked, the 'U' bend can be fitted in situ by removing the spark plug along with the M8 & two M5 fasteners, allowing the head cowling to float about, or, in some instances, be removed altogether.

This allows far better access to the fastenings & more 'purchase' upon the nuts whilst tightening. Copaslip type grease is mandatory.

To make the task even easier, long M6 nuts which are only 10 mm AF (Toolstation etc) tapped through with an M7 tap will allow even better purchase & if you want an A1 job, cross drill them for lock wire & join them together. Similarly, this can be applied to the inlet manifold fixing if you want bomb proof.
Warkton Tornado No.1

Postby Revvers » Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:52 pm

Cheers. I’m not super technical. I can see some scuffed knuckles and choice words coming from my garage in the next few days
Revvers

Postby HxPaul » Wed Aug 19, 2020 7:55 am

Have you got "sticky's"manual,if so it tells you in there how to undo and do up an exhaust downpipe,if not,buy one.
HxPaul

Postby coaster » Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:00 am

HxPaul wrote:Have you got "sticky's"manual,if so it tells you in there how to undo and do up an exhaust downpipe,if not,buy one.

Available from all good scooter shops but here's a link https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/18024826859?ii ... jQQAvD_BwE
coaster

Postby Revvers » Wed Aug 19, 2020 1:35 pm

I have the original one. But I find that the manuals never show any problems. It all goes fine and I thought it showed doing it with the engine out of the scooter (??) but I stand to be corrected!
Revvers

Postby Tractorman » Wed Aug 19, 2020 8:10 pm

coaster wrote:
HxPaul wrote:Have you got "sticky's"manual,if so it tells you in there how to undo and do up an exhaust downpipe,if not,buy one.

Available from all good scooter shops but here's a link https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/18024826859?ii ... jQQAvD_BwE

And Warren at shawfire sells them.
Tractorman

Postby MK Monty » Wed Aug 19, 2020 8:55 pm

Personally I would lose the rear shock to drop the front of the cowing and move it along the barrel out of the way. Once the downpipe is on and the rest of the box pipe is fitted you can refit the cowling checking for clearance, depending on the pipe you may have to open up the hole on the cowling for the downpipe. Try and get all the bolts in without forcing anything or it will break away over time. Check things like your stand is not hitting when up and the kickstart passes the tail pipe. All areas that cause problems with different pipes.
MK Monty

Return to Series 1, 2 & 3