LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

S2 Where to connect rectified AC output????

Technical help for Series one, two and three Lambrettas. Models include the Li, Li Special, TV, SX, GP, Serveta and API/SIL models

S2 Where to connect rectified AC output????

Postby davla » Sat Aug 22, 2020 2:19 pm

Just connecting up an electronic kit on my S2 with Scootronics rectifier.
Engine runs fine and cut out switch works but where do I connect the rectified AC output for lights, brake light, horn etc??
I’ve still got the old Bakelite rectifier in place (not in use) with purple, green, brown & pink wires from the loom plugged into it. Can I take my recified 12v from my Scootronics rectifier and plug it into one of the empty green, brown or pink sockets? effectively just using the old bakerlite rectifier as a junction box?
davla

Re: S2 Where to connect rectified AC output????

Postby coaster » Sat Aug 22, 2020 4:54 pm

Im pretty sure you connect the Red (DC) output from the Scootronics rectifier to the brown in the loom and the black goes to earth. I thought Mr Tambs included instructions? dont forget you will need a DC Horn
coaster

Postby davla » Sat Aug 22, 2020 5:47 pm

coaster wrote:Im pretty sure you connect the Red (DC) output from the Scootronics rectifier to the brown in the loom and the black goes to earth. I thought Mr Tambs included instructions? dont forget you will need a DC Horn

Instructions just say connect rectifier 12v AC output to your scooters AC circuit (or words to that effect)
davla

Postby coaster » Sat Aug 22, 2020 10:04 pm

davla wrote:
coaster wrote:Im pretty sure you connect the Red (DC) output from the Scootronics rectifier to the brown in the loom and the black goes to earth. I thought Mr Tambs included instructions? dont forget you will need a DC Horn

Instructions just say connect rectifier 12v AC output to your scooters AC circuit (or words to that effect)

I suspect he is assuming people are alredy converted to electronic, are still running points or has it been converted to 12 volt electronic?
coaster

Postby MK Monty » Sat Aug 22, 2020 10:25 pm

Most would have replaced the original Rectifier with something like the GP round connector. they have a couple of slots for the green up to the headset but if your original loom is pink purple and brown I think the round block only has a maximum of 3 wires connected together. I added a fixed loop to the set of 3, and a 2. Basically your pink Brown and purple all need to be connected to the NEW AC output. I have fitted the small BGM rectifier inside the old rectifiers and made the connections inside the box, look original till you take the metal cover off
MK Monty

Postby davla » Sun Aug 23, 2020 12:00 am

MK Monty wrote: Basically your pink Brown and purple all need to be connected to the NEW AC output. I have fitted the small BGM rectifier inside the old rectifiers and made the connections inside the box, look original till you take the metal cover off

Thanks, I think this is what I needed the know. I've mounted the new rectifier so I might just join the pink, brown & purple inside the old rectifier and connect the AC 12v out from the new rectifier
davla

Postby MK Monty » Sun Aug 23, 2020 2:44 pm

Obviously the internals of the original rectifier were for 6volt so these need gutting. Some have a big finned heat sink that when removed give a nice compartment that looks original. Most new looms have done away with the purple and pink but you still need it at the headset end so must join the brown and purple at that end.
MK Monty

Return to Series 1, 2 & 3