LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Gear Oil

Technical help for Series one, two and three Lambrettas. Models include the Li, Li Special, TV, SX, GP, Serveta and API/SIL models

Gear Oil

Postby ToBoldlyGo » Mon Aug 24, 2020 4:23 pm

We all know the difference between semi and synthetic oils, but gearbox oil baffles me. I have no idea what the various grades mean. I tend to use Silkolene Medium Gear oil myself, and find it perfectly okay. But it came up the other day in relation to ST90, and it occurred to me that I don't actually know what the grades mean in the same way I would an engine oil. I know it's a little thinner, but that's about it. Can somebody explain it all?
ToBoldlyGo

Re: Gear Oil

Postby burnside » Tue Aug 25, 2020 11:05 am

All I know is you need to use non-EP gear oil as EP additives don't play well with cork plates, and the number relates to the viscosity, i.e. the higher the number the higher the viscosity
burnside

Postby rossclark » Tue Aug 25, 2020 11:48 pm

Isn't the issue with EP to do with the phosphor bronze bushes?
rossclark

Postby burnside » Wed Aug 26, 2020 9:23 am

rossclark wrote:Isn't the issue with EP to do with the phosphor bronze bushes?

That's right it does,so with the clutch cork issue as well definitely avoid EP oil
burnside

Postby Fast n Furious » Wed Aug 26, 2020 9:49 pm

ToBoldlyGo wrote:We all know the difference between semi and synthetic oils, but gearbox oil baffles me. I have no idea what the various grades mean. I tend to use Silkolene Medium Gear oil myself, and find it perfectly okay. But it came up the other day in relation to ST90, and it occurred to me that I don't actually know what the grades mean in the same way I would an engine oil. I know it's a little thinner, but that's about it. Can somebody explain it all?

SAE Oil ratings for gearboxes differ from engine oils mainly because the two purposes have different operating temperatures.
SAE90 (ST90) gear oil shares similarilty with SAE30 engine oil. A lot of really old bikes and cars often spec SAE30 engine oil for their gearboxes.
Fast n Furious

Postby ToBoldlyGo » Sun Aug 30, 2020 12:39 pm

burnside wrote:All I know is you need to use non-EP gear oil as EP additives don't play well with cork plates, and the number relates to the viscosity, i.e. the higher the number the higher the viscosity

That would make sense. So what I'm using is basically just a bit thinner.
ToBoldlyGo

Postby Fast n Furious » Mon Aug 31, 2020 1:23 am

85/90W suggests that it would be marginally thinner at its max rated operating temperature, but then all oils have less viscocity as they get hotter. Your brand may just have better labelling?
Fast n Furious

Postby Warkton Tornado No.1 » Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:46 pm

I tried ATF years ago which cured a slipping clutch fitted with ST90.

No reason for me to fit anything else now, in any engine.

I'm not that clever to claim it to be my idea, as Bantam racers have used it for decades in three speed 'boxes with incredibly high firsts.

Try & get your mind around that they often use steel to steel wet clutches as well, & trying cheap as chips ATF in a Lambretta doesn't appear such a leap for all mankind.... :D
Warkton Tornado No.1

Postby Fast n Furious » Wed Sep 02, 2020 9:29 pm

Sometimes, when a gearbox is shimmed up on the tight side (3 thou) it can be a bit of a sod selecting first from a standing start until the gearbox is up to full working temperature.
Using ATF sorts this issue out as well.
I've yet to see a bonefide reason for not using it.
Fast n Furious

Postby shamrockexpress » Sun Jan 01, 2023 11:33 pm

why do you need a 90 oil for a lambretta but only a 30 for a vespa???? i can only guess the 90 maybe better protection for the chain!!!other than the chain there is no real difference in the engines........just my guess i,m sure someone may be kind enough to come along and educate me........ :oops:
shamrockexpress

Postby Fast n Furious » Mon Jan 02, 2023 9:07 pm

It's like I mentioned earlier in this post. The lambretta uses a 90 weight Gear oil wheras the Vethspa uses a 30 weight engine oil. The viscosity is very similar..
Fast n Furious

Postby shamrockexpress » Mon Jan 02, 2023 11:08 pm

Fast n Furious wrote:It's like I mentioned earlier in this post. The lambretta uses a 90 weight Gear oil wheras the Vethspa uses a 30 weight engine oil. The viscosity is very similar..

so Why do you need a 90????
shamrockexpress

Postby ULC Soulagent » Tue Jan 03, 2023 10:39 pm

I use classic 40 in mine now, cheap as chips from Exol
ULC Soulagent

Postby Fast n Furious » Wed Jan 04, 2023 12:00 am

shamrockexpress wrote:
Fast n Furious wrote:It's like I mentioned earlier in this post. The lambretta uses a 90 weight Gear oil wheras the Vethspa uses a 30 weight engine oil. The viscosity is very similar..

so Why do you need a 90????

The weight of gear oil is on a different temperature scale to engine oil.
Fast n Furious

Return to Series 1, 2 & 3