LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Speedo and cable issues....

Technical help for Series one, two and three Lambrettas. Models include the Li, Li Special, TV, SX, GP, Serveta and API/SIL models

Speedo and cable issues....

Postby Lord-Spanner » Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:59 am

hiya folks again :roll:

So I purchased a new set of cables for my 62 S3 Li150 with the Italian threaded speedo cable included, then I bought a new supposed Italian threaded speedo, as I have an Italian scoot the cable went on the speedo drive ok after a good clean but the speedo didn't fit, it was physically to big for the cable, the thread was way to fine and the worm seemed to rattle around in the back of the speedo drive, so ended up sending that back to.

Would I be correct in saying that you can only get cables that either fit spanish to spanish, italian to italian or indian to indian and not spanish to indian, italian to indian etc etc if so they obviously sent me the wrong speedo, but how can I make sure the speedo is correct when buying from a seller as it's a pain to send stuff back if its wrong??
Lord-Spanner

Re: Speedo and cable issues....

Postby Storkfoot » Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:32 pm

http://www.scooterrestorations.com/lamb ... es-3-grey/

This is the cable you need for a genuine ‘62 speedo. But, if you have a later speedo or aftermarket one, they take a 2.5mm cable not a 2mm.
Storkfoot

Postby Lord-Spanner » Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:45 pm

Storkfoot wrote:http://www.scooterrestorations.com/lambretta/speedo-cable-complete-series-1-2-and-early-series-3-grey/

This is the cable you need for a genuine ‘62 speedo. But, if you have a later speedo or aftermarket one, they take a 2.5mm cable not a 2mm.

Ok that's cool think the cable that I have is correct then as it fits the speedo drive but not the new speedo I purchased, it was an aftermarket one which is why the 2mm worm from my cable rattled around in it, sounds like I must find an early version speedo then for my 2mm worm

Cheers for that
Lord-Spanner

Postby Lord-Spanner » Wed Sep 02, 2020 9:42 pm

Still having issues, cable came from glasgow lambretta via eBay and another speedo came from scooter restorations but still the cable won't fit the speedo even though it fits on the speedo drive, so have messaged glasgow lambretta to see if they've had any other issues with them :roll:
Lord-Spanner

Postby little_geoff » Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:14 pm

Ah, so it's not just me then. I had exactly this issue, and also ordered two diff cables from reputable places off ebay. (i assumed both mine were Italian and ordered accordingly)
After a lot of faffing about i realised that it was only the sleeve and ends that were trashed, but the actual inner cable was ok. So between the two new ones, and the original inner cable i've managed to sort out a working speedo cable. (given that i have 3 front wheel hubs, and all the threads were the same, i had to assume it was the speedo itself that was unusual)
little_geoff

Postby Lord-Spanner » Sat Sep 12, 2020 7:32 am

little_geoff wrote:Ah, so it's not just me then. I had exactly this issue, and also ordered two diff cables from reputable places off ebay. (i assumed both mine were Italian and ordered accordingly)
After a lot of faffing about i realised that it was only the sleeve and ends that were trashed, but the actual inner cable was ok. So between the two new ones, and the original inner cable i've managed to sort out a working speedo cable. (given that i have 3 front wheel hubs, and all the threads were the same, i had to assume it was the speedo itself that was unusual)

At least you got it sorted, the new cable glasgow lambretta fitted so all's good now, but what the old one fitted I have no idea :roll:
Lord-Spanner

Return to Series 1, 2 & 3