LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Series 2 - no lights

Technical help for Series one, two and three Lambrettas. Models include the Li, Li Special, TV, SX, GP, Serveta and API/SIL models

Series 2 - no lights

Postby davla » Wed Sep 02, 2020 3:44 pm

For the life of me I can't get the lights to work on my S2 (brake light and horn work fine)
I've got voltage to the headset and light switch because the horn works but no lights.
The obvious issue would be a bad earth. I've got the headlight rim earthed to the bulb holder and there is a white cable coming from the light switch which doesn't seem to connect to anything. According to info on the main LCGB website the white goes to earth but, if i connect it to earth, I still get no lights and the brake light doesn't work.
Has anyone got any ideas please?

davla

Re: Series 2 - no lights

Postby MK Monty » Wed Sep 02, 2020 4:06 pm

You can never have too may earths I always add an extra two from the headset use one of the control rod clamp screws. Take one to the headlight rim so it’s not only working with the rim fitted, paint and loose screws = no lights. I would also add an extra one to the speedo lamp socket or it uses the speedo cable as an earth. The rim as you have it will only work when it’s bolted up. The white should be for the horn. It should go up to the button and that’s the earth when the button is pressed. Engine running the horn should quack if you hold the white to ground.
MK Monty

Postby davla » Wed Sep 02, 2020 4:12 pm

MK Monty wrote: The white should be for the horn. It should go up to the button and that’s the earth when the button is pressed. Engine running the horn should quack if you hold the white to ground.

I've got the long white wire that goes to the horn connected and the horn works. There's a second white which you can see plugged into the junction box but it's not connected to anything else.
davla

Postby MK Monty » Wed Sep 02, 2020 5:45 pm

Does this odd white go into the loom down the frame or to the handlebars. Try and track down the other end? Are you using an ignition switch or just a kill button?
MK Monty

Postby davla » Wed Sep 02, 2020 5:48 pm

MK Monty wrote:Does this odd white go into the loom down the frame or to the handlebars. Try and track down the other end? Are you using an ignition switch or just a kill button?

It comes from the light switch. Still using the kill button.
davla

Postby MK Monty » Wed Sep 02, 2020 8:49 pm

Most looms have a brown supply that stops off at the horn with a new white also to the horn that goes up to the junction block and on to the white from the horn button. You say the horn works with the button. It should be the white. All you can do is use a volt meter to see if that white has a voltage to it, set volts AC red on that and black to ground. If no volts set to resistance, it should be open circuit then beep or show connected when you press the button for the horn.
MK Monty

Return to Series 1, 2 & 3