LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

To (piston) shim, or not to shim

Technical help for Series one, two and three Lambrettas. Models include the Li, Li Special, TV, SX, GP, Serveta and API/SIL models

To (piston) shim, or not to shim

Postby Knowledge » Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:38 pm

I have a GP125 in my workshop which has a GP crank with no shims.

I have an OE piston which has space for gudgeon-pin shims.

Surely I need something to centralise the conrod at one end of the other.
Knowledge

Re: To (piston) shim, or not to shim

Postby Warkton Tornado No.1 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:33 am

Sounds like the bog standard later specification format enabling Innocenti to recomend 50:1 oil.

If the conrod float would otherwise be excessive, then shim the piston, as you suspected.

Although I rarely need them, I've never had an OEM shim fail, but be careful of pattern cr@p from what other's have experienced.
Warkton Tornado No.1

Postby Tequipment » Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:59 am

I've just used shims that I bought from Scooter Restorations on mine.
I assume these are decent enough quality?
Tequipment

Postby Warkton Tornado No.1 » Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:37 pm

Tequipment wrote:I've just used shims that I bought from Scooter Restorations on mine.
I assume these are decent enough quality?

You'd hope so, but disastrous if not up to standard.

I've always kept any that have been in an OEM engine strip down, though I have acquired some in piston kits. TBH I have never experienced failure either. For some reason, I have sets of three different thicknesses. That said, I hope that I never have to use them, but best kept "just in case" ;)

Things to look for are that they are a ground finish, which is one indicator of a good hard steel being utilised in their manufacture, & rubbing a file across the surface. If the file skids, then they are hard & most likely durable. Their purpose is to act as a thrust bearing surface for the small end faces & also the needle roller bearing.
Warkton Tornado No.1

Return to Series 1, 2 & 3