LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Zinc plated Fasteners

Technical help for Series one, two and three Lambrettas. Models include the Li, Li Special, TV, SX, GP, Serveta and API/SIL models

Zinc plated Fasteners

Postby Littlewheels » Sat Sep 26, 2020 11:02 pm

My horn casting has a couple of dodgy threads so I thought instead of going for standard length screws I would use ones a tad longer so they grip on the lower part of the threaded hole.
No problem I will order some :| The only M5 countersunk raised head screws I can find are stainless steel? What happened to the plain old Bright zinc plated variety?
Anyone know where I can buy just a handful (not 1000 off) & not £1 per screw!
I remember every town having a fastener supplier that stocked everything and if you walked in you could buy just one screw for less than a few pence. What's happened?
:?
Littlewheels

Re: Zinc plated Fasteners

Postby gaz_powell » Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:08 am

The interweb..... That's what happened... Sadly
gaz_powell

Postby gaz_powell » Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:14 am

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/M4-M5-ZINC-M ... 1841280575

I use these people a lot for fastenings
gaz_powell

Postby Warkton Tornado No.1 » Sun Sep 27, 2020 2:07 pm

In general, I shy away from stainless, but in that application, they would be alright & probably more available.

If it's slotted, raised head M5 screws that you want, I might have some, but most likely in stainless. I can't promise, but let me know the length & I'll have a look.

Unless you seek the OEM or Concourse look, the last time I fitted a horn casting, I used the longest M5 button head stainless screws that would fit but ground a countersink on the underside of the head (90 degree) spinning them in an electric drill with an electric file doing the cutting. A file would do it but take longer. They look alright (to my old eye's!) & polish up like chrome. Or plated steel, if you like..... :P
Warkton Tornado No.1

Return to Series 1, 2 & 3