LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Any Idea of Cost of repair

Technical help for Series one, two and three Lambrettas. Models include the Li, Li Special, TV, SX, GP, Serveta and API/SIL models

Any Idea of Cost of repair

Postby Tonyfitz55 » Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:48 pm

Hi

Lucky Jim has just fitted an electronic ign to my Series 2 TV175. Whilst running on tickover, I noticed black oil leaking from the manifold clamp to the silencer. Theres some (but not loads) of white smoke from the tail pipe, but it continues to run if I block the tail pipe, so I'm assuming the main crank seal might of blown. Is what I'm describing typical of a blown seal and does anyone know an idea of cost to have it replaced ?
Tonyfitz55

Re: Any Idea of Cost of repair

Postby ToBoldlyGo » Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:40 pm

I suppose the answer has to be not a lot if you do it yourself. But really a question like that is very difficult to answer. It depends if you go to a mate with a shed or a proper dealer.
ToBoldlyGo

Postby MickYork » Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:56 pm

With all the correct tools and good working space I would estimate 4 - 5 hours. Minimum parts would be a new seal and Halite gasket, mag flange and side casing gasket, new engine oil.

Check reputable dealers for the cost of parts and I would expect garages to charge £35 - £50 an hour.

Be prepared for some "extras".....threads stripped, studs/bolts snapped, worn chain, worn piston rings, etc, etc.
MickYork

Postby davla » Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:30 pm

Tonyfitz55 wrote:Hi

Lucky Jim has just fitted an electronic ign to my Series 2 TV175. Whilst running on tickover, I noticed black oil leaking from the manifold clamp to the silencer. Theres some (but not loads) of white smoke from the tail pipe, but it continues to run if I block the tail pipe, so I'm assuming the main crank seal might of blown. Is what I'm describing typical of a blown seal and does anyone know an idea of cost to have it replaced ?

Sounds like you might just got a leak between the U-bend and the silencer tbh
davla

Postby Tonyfitz55 » Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:54 pm

Thanks for your replies really appreciate it. I doubt I'd strip it down with my bloody luck. I have an idea of cost now and I'll check for leaks near the manifold.

Thanks Lads
Tonyfitz55

Postby Scooterlam » Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:25 pm

Sniff the smoke, you'll know if it's gone
Scooterlam

Postby Meds » Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:34 pm

Buy stickey’s book- it’s a mecano set for adults.
Meds

Postby Scooterlam » Tue Oct 27, 2020 11:52 pm

One other thing to check is your fuel tap closing properly,
If the float needle isn't sealing fuel can flood the cylinder and leak out the exhaust. If it fires it'll smoke a lot.
Scooterlam

Return to Series 1, 2 & 3