LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Inner Tubes perishing

Technical help for Series one, two and three Lambrettas. Models include the Li, Li Special, TV, SX, GP, Serveta and API/SIL models

Inner Tubes perishing

Postby Geezerray » Mon Dec 14, 2020 6:21 pm

I am having a problem with inner tubes on my 1964 Italian 1964 TV 175 Lambretta. I have had two perish now, where both halves of the rims join. They are Michelin air stop, and are quite new. It may be the climate as the scooter is in Spain, soon to return the UK. Anyone have any ideas as to overcome this, other than buy tubeless rims.
Geezerray

Re: Inner Tubes perishing

Postby Knowledge » Mon Dec 14, 2020 11:18 pm

Your problem is not your inner tubes, but your rims. Yes, rims do rust and when they rust in the area where the two halves join, then it affects your inner tubes.

You do not need to go tubeless (thought this isn’t a bad idea), you could strip the rims off the tyres and get them blasted and re-painted or powder-coated. However, new split rims are not that expensive so why don’t you just buy some new rims? Some of the new rims are actually round (though many are not)
Knowledge

Postby Toddy » Tue Dec 15, 2020 7:20 am

Geezerray wrote:I am having a problem with inner tubes on my 1964 Italian 1964 TV 175 Lambretta. I have had two perish now, where both halves of the rims join. They are Michelin air stop, and are quite new. It may be the climate as the scooter is in Spain, soon to return the UK. Anyone have any ideas as to overcome this, other than buy tubeless rims.

Moved to Series 1/2&3 buddy you will get a better response :D
Toddy

Postby Warkton Tornado No.1 » Tue Dec 15, 2020 2:05 pm

The U.K. climate is arguably worse & during winter the authorities regularly salt the roads, rather than legislate that winter tyres be fitted.

Therefore, we encounter a corrosive mixture every year in our usual poorly managed country.

Back in the 70's when scooter tyres were little better than wheelbarrow items, & Lambrettas were an essential, only means of transport, we assembled our wheels with grease. The inner faces of the flanges that bolt together & the areas of the rims that came into contact with the tyre beads were greased up. (Yes! I was a Greaser :lol: ) This would then enable far easier assembly & disassembly. Not only that, corrosion was kept @ bay.

There was never any trouble with the tyres or inner tubes deteriorating & the inner tubes stayed in place (they have a far greater contact area with the tyre than the rims)

If I were in your scenario, I would have no hesitation in greasing up the rims. 'Rubber' grease (as used in car brake assemblies for years) might be an added touch of sophistication as a nod to those horrified @ the thought of grease in contact with 'rubber' or nitrile, but I cannot be the only elder scooterist that carried out this common practice :?:

The alternative is to create a liner from a cut up inner tube, as used in recent times by some racers. It was supposed to reduce the incidence of punctures, but, personally, I don't see how.......
Warkton Tornado No.1

Postby coaster » Tue Dec 15, 2020 2:25 pm

Another point is that Airstops are no good for Lambrettas as the valve is moulded in dead centre but the hole in the rim on a lambretta is off centre and this puts a strain on the valve which can then fail. Best tubes dfor lambrettas are MYPOL ones, they are Indian, made of thicker rubber and more importantly have the valve in the right place. They are sold by many Lambretta dealers such as Just Lambretta 8-)
coaster

Postby Toddy » Tue Dec 15, 2020 2:26 pm

coaster wrote:Another point is that Airstops are no good for Lambrettas as the valve is moulded in dead centre but the hole in the rim on a lambretta is off centre and this puts a strain on the valve which can then fail. Best tubes dfor lambrettas are MYPOL ones, they are Indian, made of thicker rubber and more importantly have the valve in the right place. They are sold by many Lambretta dealers such as Just Lambretta 8-)

+1 for mypol ;)
Toddy

Postby Geezerray » Thu Jan 07, 2021 3:36 pm

thanks to everyone replying, my rims are brand new and chrome, so I don't think its the rims. I think its down to the climate here as the sun just mullers everything including concrete etc. I will try the Indian inner tubes or line the two halves of the rims where they join as that is where the tubes are perishing. Failing that tubeless it will be. I am told they are more reliable and if you get a puncture whilst riding safer, do not know how true that is mind. Thanks to all for making suggestions.
Geezerray

Postby coaster » Thu Jan 07, 2021 5:39 pm

Geezerray wrote:thanks to everyone replying, my rims are brand new and chrome, so I don't think its the rims. I think its down to the climate here as the sun just mullers everything including concrete etc. I will try the Indian inner tubes or line the two halves of the rims where they join as that is where the tubes are perishing. Failing that tubeless it will be. I am told they are more reliable and if you get a puncture whilst riding safer, do not know how true that is mind. Thanks to all for making suggestions.

Tghe Mypol tubes were developed for Indian roads and are WAY better than Airstops. Tubeless rims are a definate safety feature but be mindful that changing tyres can be an issue unless you can find a local fitter prepared to work with 10" Rims. I have always managed to fit my own but it is a bit of a wrestling match :?
coaster

Postby Toot » Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:08 pm

Geezerray wrote: my rims are brand new and chrome, so I don't think its the rims. I think its down to the climate here as the sun just mullers everything including concrete etc.

It couldn't be that the chrome rims are retaining excess heat and perishing the rubber?

I have no science to back this up but after reading this thread there is obviously something that is causing heat to reduce the lifespan of the rubber innertubes?
Toot

Postby Loneranger » Sat Jan 09, 2021 1:49 pm

Hi,

Of course, you could try fitting rim tape over the joint in the two rims (like fitting rim tape to a bicycle wheel).
Then fit your tyre and tubes.
Just a thought.

Stay safe and stay home!!

Ady
Loneranger

Postby Warkton Tornado No.1 » Sat Jan 09, 2021 2:21 pm

Loneranger wrote:Hi,

Of course, you could try fitting rim tape over the joint in the two rims (like fitting rim tape to a bicycle wheel).
Then fit your tyre and tubes.
Just a thought.

Stay safe and stay home!!

Ady

Similar concept to what I said, but worth repeating, as it reminded me of the number of punctures I have sustained with high pressure cycle tyres over the years, on the rim tape side of the tube. Those particular punctures are caused by impact due to all the potholes in our roads.

Could it be that our Geezerray should adjust his pressures, as I don't think any information has appeared to qualify that? If anything, I would imagine they might be best set a tad lower than the 18/28 PSI as was the case for racing to allow for the increased pressure through heat build up.

Just a thought (or two) :D
Warkton Tornado No.1

Postby coaster » Sat Jan 09, 2021 2:56 pm

Geezerray wrote:I am having a problem with inner tubes on my 1964 Italian 1964 TV 175 Lambretta. I have had two perish now, where both halves of the rims join. They are Michelin air stop, and are quite new. It may be the climate as the scooter is in Spain, soon to return the UK. Anyone have any ideas as to overcome this, other than buy tubeless rims.

As a matter of interest, was the rubber actually perished as in dried out and cracking or was it the rubber sticking to the rim? Also, were they purchaserd at the same time or from the same supplier? Just thinking your problem could easily be due to external factors :?
coaster

Postby Geezerray » Sat Jun 12, 2021 4:13 pm

Thanks again to every one that replied. I have changed to tubeless SIP wheels, I beleive my problem was badly made rims, as two of the other tubes were not affected. The quality is far far superior and obviously the price refelcts that, but I am glad I went the extra mile and fitte tubeless.
Geezerray

Return to Series 1, 2 & 3