LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Remote filter or not?

Technical help for Series one, two and three Lambrettas. Models include the Li, Li Special, TV, SX, GP, Serveta and API/SIL models

Remote filter or not?

Postby ToBoldlyGo » Sat Dec 19, 2020 12:18 am

Ideally I would have liked to have run my 25mm carb through the airbox, but the MB manifold comes off the barrel at something like 45 degrees. I'm sure there must be a reason for doing this, but it doesn't make things any easier. I don't really want to have to use a remote filter if I can help it. So, what can be done short of buying a new manifold to put the carb in a better position?
ToBoldlyGo

Re: Remote filter or not?

Postby martyn dwane » Sat Dec 19, 2020 1:58 pm

I ran my 25mm PHBL thru a drilled air box using a mb manifold, the connection hose did sit at a bit of an angle but worked .
martyn dwane

Postby Warkton Tornado No.1 » Sat Dec 19, 2020 4:39 pm

There are very good reasons to filter the air to a carburettor, though I admit I am a 'convert' principally because of the mess created otherwise.

IMO some makes of carburettor are much more filter friendly than others. In my experience, the most common PH range of carburettors have a tendency to flood on a filtered, hot Lambretta engine, yet, with adequate, well designed air boxes, work well as OEM equipment on, say, a Honda Foxeye.

I am not clever enough to know why some carburettors struggle to breath when others function well. Even the old VHB converted to two stroke with later PH parts will gasp for air if just a 40 + mm elbow is fitted with not even a filter, so I'm not just being prejudiced against the PH range, though it is a fact that I consider their slide design wrong for a two stroke.

If you can overcome any tendency to bog or flood, no matter what the choice of carburettor is, there is money to be saved by persevering. Less fuel gets wasted to atmosphere & less fuel should get used. Allied to the fact that the engine should last longer through lack of wear cannot be underestimated, ultimately improving reliability.
Warkton Tornado No.1

Postby dickie » Sat Dec 19, 2020 7:19 pm

Yes, something odd there. I've run mb 25mm manifolds with phbl no problem through the air box.

Do you have a reed manifold?
dickie

Postby ToBoldlyGo » Sat Dec 19, 2020 10:47 pm

No, just a standard 200 MB inlet manifold to suit the stud spacing on a RT195 kit. Strangely enough a mate is working on a scooter with the exact same set up and the manifold is just the same on that. Maybe it's to allow room for the bellows under the panel, I don't know?
ToBoldlyGo

Postby Storkfoot » Sun Dec 20, 2020 11:13 am

Sounds like you have a down draft manifold. I believe that conventional wisdom on these is that they permit the air and petrol mix to enter the cylinder at a better angle and improve performance.

They will tilt the carburettor on its back slightly but that should not adversely effect the running of the carburettor.

I have used them before but never through an airbox.
Storkfoot

Postby HxPaul » Sun Dec 20, 2020 5:57 pm

Get in touch with mb,tell them what you've got and what you want to do.Im sure they will have seen it before and they will have an answer.
HxPaul

Postby ToBoldlyGo » Sun Dec 20, 2020 11:52 pm

Storkfoot wrote:Sounds like you have a down draft manifold. I believe that conventional wisdom on these is that they permit the air and petrol mix to enter the cylinder at a better angle and improve performance.

They will tilt the carburettor on its back slightly but that should not adversely effect the running of the carburettor.

I have used them before but never through an airbox.

Ah, is that what they call it. It is tilted back slightly. I've no doubt it will run just fine. But I won't be running it through an airbox either by the look of it. I've decided to bite the bullet and try a remote filter instead. I didn't like the idea of it initially, as it's not something I've tried before. But, it ought to be fun.
ToBoldlyGo

Postby Storkfoot » Mon Dec 21, 2020 7:24 pm

I have used plenty of remote filters over the years. For ones on an elbow under the panels, Breath Sweet ones would be my recommendation. The do allow the carburettor to breath easily in my experience.

As it happens, I was rooting through a box today and found the one I have ready to go on a Mikuni TM24 on a 175cc. I got this from Camlam. I was hoping that the elbow would be smooth like the bigger Breath Sweet ones and not ribbed. I have since seen that bgm do another elbow that seems wider than this.

Storkfoot

Postby ToBoldlyGo » Wed Dec 23, 2020 8:07 pm

It could be this one, which is the one I've ordered. From Germany! :o No way of knowing when I might get as yet.

https://www.scooter-center.com/en/air-h ... M2570D50KT

I'll probably be picking your brains on remote filters, when I do eventually get it. :lol:
ToBoldlyGo

Postby Storkfoot » Wed Dec 23, 2020 10:42 pm

That is the one I was thinking of. Hopefully, it works well.
Storkfoot

Return to Series 1, 2 & 3