LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Returning to AC

Technical help for Series one, two and three Lambrettas. Models include the Li, Li Special, TV, SX, GP, Serveta and API/SIL models

Re: Returning to AC

Postby MickYork » Fri Jan 01, 2021 1:59 pm

Yes you're right. I have a "modern" charger and if a battery is completely flat it won't charge. I also have a "traditional" charger that works fine on completely dead batteries.
MickYork

Postby dickie » Fri Jan 01, 2021 4:02 pm

My oxford optimate can recover from very low voltages but if the battery is completely wrecked, it can't fix that.

If it's gone flat due to leaving lights on for example, it will fix it. If on the other hand, it has been neglected for months, like my triumph has, it won't fix it.

To my embarrassment as an electrical engineer,I don't really understand battery technology, I just know that this is how they behave.
dickie

Postby Meds » Fri Jan 01, 2021 4:32 pm

Bilko wrote:Finally got round to checking and it was a dodgy earth from the rectifier.?

Good news- try fitting the battery and running it to see if the battery will charge.
You loose nothing by giving it a go
Meds

Postby coaster » Fri Jan 01, 2021 4:55 pm

Ive read somewhere that you can fool modern inteligent chargers by connecting in parallel with a good battery, not tried it myself yet but will give it go over the next few days
coaster

Postby Scooterlam » Mon Jan 04, 2021 6:22 pm

coaster wrote:Ive read somewhere that you can fool modern inteligent chargers by connecting in parallel with a good battery, not tried it myself yet but will give it go over the next few days

Spot on coaster.
Done it many a time.
Also if you have a clever one with repair feature
You can use the pulse feature to drag the battery back to a point when you can switch to the usual charge setting.
Scooterlam

Postby coaster » Wed Jan 06, 2021 4:21 pm

coaster wrote:Ive read somewhere that you can fool modern inteligent chargers by connecting in parallel with a good battery, not tried it myself yet but will give it go over the next few days

Well, the battery on my Marcos was flat and wouldnt take a charge or respond to the 'reconditioning' setting on my charger. So thought I'd try connection the 5 Amph battery off my LiS. Unfortunately that wouldnt take a charge either but it did respond to the reconditioning process. After about 8 hours the scooter battery was showing 13.5 volts so I connected it in parallel with the car battery which dragged the voltage down BUT the reconditioning cycle was now able to work. Left that on for a few hours and disconnected the scooter battery and left the car battery to charge normally overnight and this morning it read 145.2 volts...result 8-)
coaster

Postby Warkton Tornado No.1 » Wed Jan 06, 2021 4:30 pm

coaster wrote:
coaster wrote: this morning it read 145.2 volts...result 8-)

Does this mean our energy crisis is over?

;)
Warkton Tornado No.1

Postby Fast n Furious » Thu Jan 07, 2021 12:18 am

At 145.2V it probably means it's a hybrid. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Fast n Furious

Postby coaster » Thu Jan 07, 2021 1:05 am

Fast n Furious wrote:At 145.2V it probably means it's a hybrid. :lol: :lol: :lol:
That should be 14.2 volts, it needs the flux capacitor to be charged to get up to 142 volts :?
coaster

Postby Bilko » Thu Jan 07, 2021 1:40 pm

Warkton Tornado No.1 wrote:
coaster wrote:
coaster wrote: this morning it read 145.2 volts...result 8-)

Does this mean our energy crisis is over?

;)

Brilliant!
Bilko

Previous

Return to Series 1, 2 & 3