LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Intermittent lights

Technical help for Series one, two and three Lambrettas. Models include the Li, Li Special, TV, SX, GP, Serveta and API/SIL models

Intermittent lights

Postby Gsparky » Thu Dec 24, 2020 8:19 pm

Merry Christmas everybody, I have been tinkering with my scooter today, trying to get the lights to work. I have an sx 200 1968 I bought in the summer, 6v points. The previous Italian owner wired indicators via the battery and flasher unit, the indicators were gone when I got it not the holes though!,and the wires were just cut so I traced and got rid of the wires today just to make sure that was not causing the lights not to work. I loosened the headset and disconnected the speedo cable, then I fired her up. I found she started easy, 3rd or 4th kick, but when I turned the key to lights I could see sparks off the lower headset screws. I also found with the key turned to lights, they worked no horn though, after I pressed the horn I would lose lights! she started to cut out and not start , yet when I turned the key to lights off she started and ticked over nice, , I loosened the light switch to check for any shorting but looked ok!,the battery was corroded when I got her so replaced that and parking rear light and speedo or headset lamp works ok when not running, I have a feeling there is a problem with points or/ and stator so would appreciate your thoughts/ advice.
Regards Gary
Gsparky

Re: Intermittent lights

Postby gp200ts1 » Fri Dec 25, 2020 2:02 pm

The points should not affect the lighting as they are 2 totally different circuits. The problem may be the ignition switch as this is where the 2 circuits can potentially meet.
gp200ts1

Re: Intermittent lights

Postby Gsparky » Fri Dec 25, 2020 5:14 pm

Ok, good point, I will have a look at the ignition switch.
Thanks for your reply
Gsparky

Return to Series 1, 2 & 3