LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

UNI side casings

Technical help for Series one, two and three Lambrettas. Models include the Li, Li Special, TV, SX, GP, Serveta and API/SIL models

UNI side casings

Postby Storkfoot » Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:04 pm

I used one earlier this year and was impressed with the finish, with one exception. I had issues getting the kick start shaft through the bush. I tried another shaft with the same issue. I resolved the issue with a lot of effort with wet and dry paper.

The reason I mention this is that I am after another GP side casing. Has anyone else had any similar issues?
Storkfoot

Re: UNI side casings

Postby Fast n Furious » Sun Jan 03, 2021 11:33 pm

I can't remember ever fitting new bushes and shaft without having to ream the bushes to get the required 'tight as practicaly possible' clearance.
The action of pressing these 2 thin, interference fit, brass bushes into the ally casing results in a small amount of "out of round distortion" of the bushes. So, reaming to size, is just a standard procedure here.
The new UNI casing is unlikely to have any bearing on it.
Fast n Furious

Postby Storkfoot » Mon Jan 04, 2021 2:51 pm

Good point. I have just never had to do it before.
Storkfoot

Postby ROClarke » Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:59 am

Storkfoot wrote:Good point. I have just never had to do it before.

Better to be really right or the outside bush has a habit of drifting back along the kickstart shaft and will result in the shaft moving around as the bush will sit in the space between the 2 bushes which is not ground but cast and is a smaller diameter than the shaft bush faces.
ROClarke

Postby ROClarke » Sat Jan 09, 2021 12:01 pm

ROClarke wrote:
Storkfoot wrote:Good point. I have just never had to do it before.

Better to be really right or the outside bush has a habit of drifting back along the kickstart shaft and will result in the shaft moving around as the bush will sit in the space between the 2 bushes which is not ground but cast and is a smaller diameter than the shaft bush faces.

Sorry should read “really tight” and not “really right”
ROClarke

Postby dickie » Sat Jan 09, 2021 3:31 pm

Storkfoot wrote:I used one earlier this year and was impressed with the finish, with one exception. I had issues getting the kick start shaft through the bush. I tried another shaft with the same issue. I resolved the issue with a lot of effort with wet and dry paper.

The reason I mention this is that I am after another GP side casing. Has anyone else had any similar issues?

I've recently fitted 2 x UNI side casings. One had the old used kickstarter from the engine being repaired. The other had a brand new MB one. Both assembled easily without any reaming required.
dickie

Postby Storkfoot » Sat Jan 09, 2021 6:49 pm

Thanks for the replies. I have ordered another UNI sidecasing.
Storkfoot

Postby Storkfoot » Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:41 pm

Storkfoot wrote:Thanks for the replies. I have ordered another UNI sidecasing.

I have received the sidecasing and I have the same issue again.

The bushes are approximately 22cms and 25cms. Is anyone able to recommend a reamer (set or adjustable) that doesn’t cost an arm and a leg please?

Failing that, I shall take it to a local engineering business.
Storkfoot

Postby coaster » Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:37 pm

What you could do with is a small flap wheel just slightly wider than the bush, they are available for dremels but not sure if right size. Only suggesting as it isnt a critical bush as such ;)
coaster

Postby Storkfoot » Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:26 am

coaster wrote:What you could do with is a small flap wheel just slightly wider than the bush, they are available for dremels but not sure if right size. Only suggesting as it isnt a critical bush as such ;)

Good idea. I’ll get some new ones and give it a go. I did try with some old ones last time but found wet n dry was more successful even if it was for hour after hour.
Storkfoot

Postby Warkton Tornado No.1 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:48 pm

Your best course of action might be to let the man @ the top know about this issue. There might be any number of ways to contact him, but a very 'transparent' method is via:

https://in.linkedin.com/in/manish-mittal-51167520

which I believe anybody can join.

It's only fair to give the guy a chance to get things right..... ;)
Warkton Tornado No.1

Postby Storkfoot » Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:22 pm

I reckon I need to shed 0.49mm off one bush, 1.28mm off the other. That is quite a lot for a flap wheel.

That is when compared to a shaft that works perfectly well in a SIL sidecasing. Disappointing.

I am not going down the route of going on Linked In but I am going to feed it back to AF (I bought one of my two UNI casings from them) who are, I believe, the main importers of UNI products.
Storkfoot

Postby Fast n Furious » Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:39 pm

Storkfoot wrote:

The bushes are approximately 22cms and 25cms. Is anyone able to recommend a reamer (set or adjustable) that doesn’t cost an arm and a leg please?

A pair of adjustable reamers new £22.50 delivered. One is typically 21.4mm - 23.8mm and the other is 23.8mm - 27.00mm. A bargain investment me thinks. ;)
PM me for details.
Fast n Furious

Postby Storkfoot » Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:40 am

Fast n Furious wrote:
Storkfoot wrote:

A pair of adjustable reamers new £22.50 delivered. One is typically 21.4mm - 23.8mm and the other is 23.8mm - 27.00mm. A bargain investment me thinks. ;)
PM me for details.

Thanks for your help. Order placed.
Storkfoot

Return to Series 1, 2 & 3