LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Vape ignition flywheel holding tool.

Technical help for Series one, two and three Lambrettas. Models include the Li, Li Special, TV, SX, GP, Serveta and API/SIL models

Vape ignition flywheel holding tool.

Postby Knowledge » Sun Jan 03, 2021 11:14 pm

I am fitting a Vape ignition from SIP to a mate’s scooter at the moment. It is a lovely bit of kit but there is no flywheel holding tool in the beautifully presented box.

I am now assuming that the tool, if such a thing exists, is not supplied (it hadn’t just fallen out of my box).

I will probably make one tomorrow, but it seems that there is a gap in the market for such an item (or an “improved” version).

Has anyone else tried the Vape?
Knowledge

Re: Vape ignition flywheel holding tool.

Postby Storkfoot » Sun Jan 03, 2021 11:36 pm

There is a holding tool and it works well. It’s designed to be able to use without the fan and with the fan, and so, is quite elaborate in its design.

I can’t recall where I got it it I am sure a Google search will point you in the right direction :)

I think Oiltek also do another one that will just hold the flywheel but not with the fan.
Storkfoot

Postby ULC Soulagent » Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:56 am

ULC Soulagent

Postby Knowledge » Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:37 am

Thanks guys.

Oiltek sell both types.
Knowledge

Postby Simon_T » Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:54 pm

got mine from LTH in Germany bit expensive but solid enough it screws on to the boss rather than hold the fins of the fan like Ive seen on other type
Simon_T

Postby Knowledge » Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:15 pm

In the end, I found a bit of 1/8” by 1.5” flat bar and cut a semi-circle hole in the side to match the raised boss in the middle of the inner flywheel and then drilled three 6mm holes in the bar to align with three adjacent fan-retaining holes in the inner flywheel.

OK it has its limitations in that it can only be used with the fan off, but I don’t anticipate taking it on and off too many times.

It is very simple and is sufficiently strong to allow me to tighten the sprocket retaining bolt whilst holding the flywheel with this holder.
Knowledge

Return to Series 1, 2 & 3