LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Rear hub oil seal replacement

Technical help for Series one, two and three Lambrettas. Models include the Li, Li Special, TV, SX, GP, Serveta and API/SIL models

Rear hub oil seal replacement

Postby Gsparky » Sun Jan 10, 2021 7:06 pm

I have just taken the rear wheel and hub off my scooter and found the brake pads are wet in oil!, I have been looking on here for information, am I right in thinking the rear hub oil seal can be replaced without stripping engine down?
Gsparky

Re: Rear hub oil seal replacement

Postby Warkton Tornado No.1 » Sun Jan 10, 2021 7:55 pm

Yes.

Ensure new seal is fitted with spring facing the pressure (inwards) & that the surface that the seal lip runs on is neither too rough or smooth. Scotchbrite the surface if necessary as there needs to be some oil retention for the seal to be lubricated.
Therefore, never fit an oil seal 'dry'. Grease will do as it will stay in place whilst assembling.

Soak the old shoes in a good degreasant to remove the cack & a light rub down with 40 grit should enable them to go back into use. Pre wash in the dishwasher is very good but it could affect any marriages...... :D
Warkton Tornado No.1

Postby Gsparky » Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:47 pm

Thanks, I appreciate your advice, I have bought some non setting liquid seal compound, could/should I use this?
Gsparky

Postby Warkton Tornado No.1 » Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:58 am

Gsparky wrote:Thanks, I appreciate your advice, I have bought some non setting liquid seal compound, could/should I use this?

I think that I may have confused you :oops:

The way that a contact seal with a lip actually contains oil or grease is by being a 'wiper' so relies entirely upon being lubricated via the very stuff that it is stopping from leaking.

So, to give it a fighting chance, it needs initially lubricating until the fluid to be sealed in can get to the lip of the seal.

Whatever is applied to the seal lip upon assembly should be a lubricant. Gearbox oil if you like, but grease has a greater tendency to stay put, which was why I suggested it. Vaseline would also do the job......
Warkton Tornado No.1

Postby Gsparky » Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:52 pm

Ok I have some grease I will use that, thanks
Gsparky

Return to Series 1, 2 & 3