LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Vape ignition...which d.c version??

Technical help for Series one, two and three Lambrettas. Models include the Li, Li Special, TV, SX, GP, Serveta and API/SIL models

Vape ignition...which d.c version??

Postby ladsdad » Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:59 pm

Hi all
For those using the Vape ignition in d.c flavour, which would suit a tweeked TS1 the best, or is it all a personal choice?
Any opinions?? wish you'd bought the sport cdi kit? or happy with the standard ignition curve...

I can see that it's a well made bit of kit & reasonably priced, so just after people's opinions who are running either of the two options...
Cheers
ladsdad

Re: Vape ignition...which d.c version??

Postby coaster » Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:49 pm

Did you get any info on this Mark? quite interested myself but a bit confused with the options and scant info on the SIP site. Also having very recently bought some GTS parts from SIP and being stung for the custtoms handling fee by the courier was wondering if anyone stocks them in the UK?
coaster

Postby Specialcase » Tue Jul 13, 2021 2:04 pm

Got mine from Leeds Lambretta, failing that Torbay both give excellent service!
Specialcase

Postby ULC Soulagent » Tue Jul 13, 2021 3:23 pm

Just received the sports Gp dc variant, well made although the wiring diagram leaves much of head scratching later on I’m sure :roll: got mine from a Torbay Lambretta and think only one left in stock ;)
ULC Soulagent

Postby coaster » Tue Jul 13, 2021 5:24 pm

ULC Soulagent wrote:Just received the sports Gp dc variant, well made although the wiring diagram leaves much of head scratching later on I’m sure :roll: got mine from a Torbay Lambretta and think only one left in stock ;)

None left now, thanks for the heads up 8-)

Do they work with the Italian cowlings or do they need the deeper indian type? I was watching The Steel Weezle's vid on You Tube that implied that they do :?
coaster

Postby Tractorman » Tue Jul 13, 2021 8:15 pm

Does the DC version support full DC lighting or just a trickle charge for accessory power supply?
Tractorman

Postby coaster » Tue Jul 13, 2021 10:16 pm

Tractorman wrote:Does the DC version support full DC lighting or just a trickle charge for accessory power supply?

I bloomin hope so, 110 watts output so more than enough to run the lights as well as charge the battery.
coaster

Postby corrado » Tue Jul 13, 2021 10:27 pm

Brilliant lights from all accounts. I'm sure I can help Colin.
corrado

Postby corrado » Tue Jul 13, 2021 10:29 pm

coaster wrote:
Do they work with the Italian cowlings or do they need the deeper indian type? I was watching The Steel Weezle's vid on You Tube that implied that they do :?

Italian cowlings as standard.

I think Steel Weasel may have fitted the deeper MMW fan which would need an Indian cowling.
corrado

Postby coaster » Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:56 pm

corrado wrote:
coaster wrote:

Italian cowlings as standard.

I think Steel Weasel may have fitted the deeper MMW fan which would need an Indian cowling.

Cheers Martin, all sorted now 8-)
coaster

Postby Tractorman » Wed Jul 14, 2021 12:15 pm

coaster wrote:
Tractorman wrote:Does the DC version support full DC lighting or just a trickle charge for accessory power supply?

I bloomin hope so, 110 watts output so more than enough to run the lights as well as charge the battery.

What is the difference between a Vape AC and DC systems, then. My interpretation is that on a AC system the lighting only works when the engine is running and on DC the generator or stator charges the battery.
Tractorman

Postby coaster » Wed Jul 14, 2021 1:14 pm

Tractorman wrote:
coaster wrote:

What is the difference between a Vape AC and DC systems, then. My interpretation is that on a AC system the lighting only works when the engine is running and on DC the generator or stator charges the battery.

The Vape produces AC just like ALL stators and on an AC system, the lights are fed directly from the stator and will require the engine to be running for them to work. With a DC system the AC is rectified and used to charge a battery which is connected in patallel with the DC feed to the lights. This means that your lights come on regardless of the engine running which is very handy when your engine stalls at a road junction or you suffer a nip up on an unlit road. If the battery goes flat on a DC system the lights continue to be powered by the stator.
coaster

Postby Tractorman » Wed Jul 14, 2021 4:56 pm

I did wonder how it all worked, thanks.
Tractorman

Postby coaster » Wed Jul 14, 2021 11:25 pm

Tractorman wrote:I did wonder how it all worked, thanks.

I currently run BGM stators wired for DC through Wassel regulators on both mt scoots charging a battery. This system works well but at low 'around town' speeds the headlamp takes more than the stator can supply so will gradually go flat and require frequent booster charges with a mains powered charger. The Vape puts out a lot more wattage than the BGM
coaster

Postby ULC Soulagent » Thu Jul 15, 2021 6:11 am

coaster wrote:

I currently run BGM stators wired for DC through Wassel regulators on both mt scoots charging a battery. This system works well but at low 'around town' speeds the headlamp takes more than the stator can supply so will gradually go flat and require frequent booster charges with a mains powered charger. The Vape puts out a lot more wattage than the BGM

That was my predicament as I have ten led lights tucked in behind the horn cover which are good but when my headlight was switched on, first my sip Speedo would die( go blank) followed by the headlight as the battery drained as bgm stator not giving enough juice at tickover and up too about 5000rpm, above that and my volt meter would show 13.00 which just kept my leds & Speedo working :?
ULC Soulagent

Postby Tractorman » Thu Jul 15, 2021 8:48 am

ULC Soulagent wrote:
coaster wrote:

That was my predicament as I have ten led lights tucked in behind the horn cover which are good but when my headlight was switched on, first my sip Speedo would die( go blank) followed by the headlight as the battery drained as bgm stator not giving enough juice at tickover and up too about 5000rpm, above that and my volt meter would show 13.00 which just kept my leds & Speedo working :?

I have not had this problem but I am using a Shorai battery.
Tractorman

Postby ULC Soulagent » Thu Jul 15, 2021 12:26 pm

Interesting battery if a tad pricey :D
ULC Soulagent

Postby Tractorman » Thu Jul 15, 2021 4:00 pm

Been on since 2014.
Tractorman

Postby ULC Soulagent » Thu Jul 15, 2021 8:10 pm

Tractorman wrote:Been on since 2014.