LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Historic vehicle registration

Technical help for Series one, two and three Lambrettas. Models include the Li, Li Special, TV, SX, GP, Serveta and API/SIL models

Historic vehicle registration

Postby gp200ts1 » Sat Jan 16, 2021 4:22 pm

Is the historic vehicle class a rolling date? My Indian gp was first registered March 1980, but looking at the DVLA site it seems to be only vehicles registered before January 1980. All seems a bit confusing. It is definitely mot exempt as it asked if it had been modified.
gp200ts1

Re: Historic vehicle registration

Postby gaz_powell » Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:32 pm

The 1980 is a comparator for 2020, its now 2021 so the Dvla notes should be updated to say 1981 and 2021

Im the same as you this year with a 1980 bike I read it that they can be registered historic after April 21 when you next tax it.
Thats what I will be doing for my next tax, going to post office abd changing the logbook to historic.
I thought mine was due last year ie 1980 plus 40 yrs 2020, but they wouldn't accept it said 2021.
Done two already as soon as they were eligible
gaz_powell

Postby gp200ts1 » Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:44 pm

Thanks that explains it. Mine is sorn already so does this mean I have to wait until April or can I do it now?
gp200ts1

Postby gaz_powell » Sat Jan 16, 2021 8:02 pm

I stand to be corrected, but I think it's after April
gaz_powell

Postby Rich Oswald » Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:33 am

The cut off date is now 1st January 1981as on our main website. The modifications rule does not apply to motorcycles.
Rich Oswald

Location: Wiseman From The East (East Of The Pennines That Is)

Postby gaz_powell » Sun Jan 17, 2021 12:54 pm

Rich, so has the historic rolling 40yr ceased, as at 01/01/81, or I'm missing something?
I've got a Jan 81 bike that's due for tax on June this year, was hoping that would be moved to historic at time of tax... Hope so then all my bikes are tax free.
gaz_powell

Postby Rich Oswald » Sun Jan 17, 2021 2:06 pm

gaz_powell wrote:Rich, so has the historic rolling 40yr ceased, as at 01/01/81, or I'm missing something?
I've got a Jan 81 bike that's due for tax on June this year, was hoping that would be moved to historic at time of tax... Hope so then all my bikes are tax free.

No it's still 40 year rolling. You won't get Historic for your Jan' '81 bike until April 2022 though.

Rich'
Rich Oswald

Postby gaz_powell » Sun Jan 17, 2021 4:20 pm

Thanks Rich.
gaz_powell

Postby Fast n Furious » Mon Jan 18, 2021 2:47 am

The rolling 40 years only gets updated every April.
So, if your machine was registered as manufactured in March 1981 you will have to wait 40 years and 1 month to change its class in April 2021. A May 1981 registration would mean you would have to go 40 years and 11 months before you could change it, in April 2022.
Fast n Furious

Postby Rich Oswald » Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:15 pm

Fast n Furious wrote:The rolling 40 years only gets updated every April.
So, if your machine was registered as manufactured in March 1981 you will have to wait 40 years and 1 month to change its class in April 2021. A May 1981 registration would mean you would have to go 40 years and 11 months before you could change it, in April 2022.

I am pretty sure that anything registered as manufactured from January 1st 1981 would have to wait until April 2022 to get Historic status, that's 15 months max'.

Rich'
Rich Oswald

Postby Fast n Furious » Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:31 pm

I had a "T" reg GP200 that was registered Jan 1979 but had no problem changing the classification to historic in April 2019. 40 years and 3 months.
I haven't checked, but it wouldn't surprise me if they have made an amendment in the last DVLA updates? (just like they have regarding black & white reg plates)
Hmmmm.
Fast n Furious

Postby gaz_powell » Sat Jan 23, 2021 10:08 am

I'll have a go, they can only say no.....
gaz_powell

Postby NLEMECFC » Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:33 am

I have a GP200 for which the Date of Manufacture is Unknown but it has an age related plate with first registration shown as 1/1/1981 and first registration in this county being 4/1/2005. According to the DVLA site if the actual Date of Manufacture is unknown but the vehicle is registered before the 8/1 in a year, so 8/1/1981 currently, then you can change your vehicle to Historic. However the Post Office couldn't do it as the Tax Classes available on their software (linked to DVLA) did not show that as an available Class. I was advised to send my log book off to DVLA (signed for delivery and after taking a photocopy of it) and it was received and signed for on 16/4/21 so I am now waiting with (not quite) bated breath but certainly crossed fingers. Pretty important to me as I live in Tottenham, London and the ULEZ expands later this year out to the South and North Circulars which would mean I had to pay the fee every time I take her out of the garage onto the road! With Historic Tax you are exempt from the ULEZ and also from the Congestion Charge as a bonus.
NLEMECFC

Postby Rich Oswald » Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:51 am

NLEMECFC wrote:I have a GP200 for which the Date of Manufacture is Unknown but it has an age related plate with first registration shown as 1/1/1981 and first registration in this county being 4/1/2005. According to the DVLA site if the actual Date of Manufacture is unknown but the vehicle is registered before the 8/1 in a year, so 8/1/1981 currently, then you can change your vehicle to Historic. However the Post Office couldn't do it as the Tax Classes available on their software (linked to DVLA) did not show that as an available Class. I was advised to send my log book off to DVLA (signed for delivery and after taking a photocopy of it) and it was received and signed for on 16/4/21 so I am now waiting with (not quite) bated breath but certainly crossed fingers. Pretty important to me as I live in Tottenham, London and the ULEZ expands later this year out to the South and North Circulars which would mean I had to pay the fee every time I take her out of the garage onto the road! With Historic Tax you are exempt from the ULEZ and also from the Congestion Charge as a bonus.

Hi,

If your scooter has a frame stamp, which it should have to be legally on the road, then the year of manufacture (DVLA only require the year, not an actual date) can be easily obtained by sending the frame number to me via PM. You could also get an Authentication Certificate (Dating Letter) from myself at the club to satisfy DVLA of the actual year of manufacture. It obviously was manufactured earlier the date of first registration so most likely it will be "Historic" now. If you leave it on the V5 as Date of First Registration, which is, 1/1/81 then it will not be allowed "Historic" until 1st April 2022.

Rich' Oswald
LCGB Registrar
Rich Oswald

Postby davla » Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:37 pm

NLEMECFC wrote:I have a GP200 for which the Date of Manufacture is Unknown but it has an age related plate with first registration shown as 1/1/1981 and first registration in this county being 4/1/2005. According to the DVLA site if the actual Date of Manufacture is unknown but the vehicle is registered before the 8/1 in a year, so 8/1/1981 currently, then you can change your vehicle to Historic. However the Post Office couldn't do it as the Tax Classes available on their software (linked to DVLA) did not show that as an available Class. I was advised to send my log book off to DVLA (signed for delivery and after taking a photocopy of it) and it was received and signed for on 16/4/21 so I am now waiting with (not quite) bated breath but certainly crossed fingers. Pretty important to me as I live in Tottenham, London and the ULEZ expands later this year out to the South and North Circulars which would mean I had to pay the fee every time I take her out of the garage onto the road! With Historic Tax you are exempt from the ULEZ and also from the Congestion Charge as a bonus.

The DVLA seem to be incapable of doing this, I sent 2 off on different occasions and both returned saying that taxation class had to be changed at time of taxing. So had to take V5C to post office where they clicked the 'Historic' tax class button on till (or whatever they do) and issued free TAX and sent off V5C to DVLA. About 6 weeks later updated V5C arrives
davla

Postby gp200ts1 » Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:16 pm

The DVLA seem to be incapable of doing this, I sent 2 off on different occasions and both returned saying that taxation class had to be changed at time of taxing. So had to take V5C to post office where they clicked the 'Historic' tax class button on till (or whatever they do) and issued free TAX and sent off V5C to DVLA. About 6 weeks later updated V5C arrives[/quote]

Did the same with my V5C at the post office and changed the colour at the same time, now taxed as historic vehicle but it’s been 4 weeks and still no new V5C.
gp200ts1

Postby NLEMECFC » Sat Jul 24, 2021 12:58 pm

Thanks for all the comments on here about the Historic status saga. Finally, today, some six months or so after I started this process my new log book (V5C) has arrived with those magic words "HISTORIC VEHICLE" against the Taxation Class, Carnaby Street here I come! More importantly when the ULEZ is expanded later this year I'll be able to drive the scoot out of my garage in Tottenham without being charged for doing so!! Still not totally convinced about the MOT Exempt status as it still shows on DVLA with no MoT and a warning about getting fined if on the road but I guess I'll test that out IDC.
NLEMECFC

Postby NLEMECFC » Sat Jul 24, 2021 1:24 pm

Rich Oswald wrote:

Hi,

If your scooter has a frame stamp, which it should have to be legally on the road, then the year of manufacture (DVLA only require the year, not an actual date) can be easily obtained by sending the frame number to me via PM. You could also get an Authentication Certificate (Dating Letter) from myself at the club to satisfy DVLA of the actual year of manufacture. It obviously was manufactured earlier the date of first registration so most likely it will be "Historic" now. If you leave it on the V5 as Date of First Registration, which is, 1/1/81 then it will not be allowed "Historic" until 1st April 2022.

Rich' Oswald
LCGB Registrar

Hi Rich, I seem to have got through it okay though TBF online they've changed the year of manufacture to 1980 (this doesn't appear on the V5C unless I've missed it) and the Date of first Registration is still 01/01/1981. I already have a dating certificate from LCGB (Peter Davies) stating the year as 1981 which DVLA have seen and accept that as the exact date isn't known so it qualifies under the rules but for ease/to make it happen automatically I guess they change it to 1980. For interest the Frame Number 22/2*02*360158.
NLEMECFC

Postby Rich Oswald » Sat Jul 24, 2021 2:19 pm

NLEMECFC wrote:
Rich Oswald wrote:

Hi,

Rich' Oswald
LCGB Registrar

Hi Rich, I seem to have got through it okay though TBF online they've changed the year of manufacture to 1980 (this doesn't appear on the V5C unless I've missed it) and the Date of first Registration is still 01/01/1981. I already have a dating certificate from LCGB (Peter Davies) stating the year as 1981 which DVLA have seen and accept that as the exact date isn't known so it qualifies under the rules but for ease/to make it happen automatically I guess they change it to 1980. For interest the Frame Number 22/2*02*360158.

Strange one this as I have that frame Number down as manufactured in 1995. If Pete Davies signed your Dating Letter it must be a really old one as he stopped being LCGB Registrar around 2004 I think. Indian info' hase become a bit clearer since then and if I was to date your scooter now, I would put it as manufactured in 1995.

Rich'
Rich Oswald

Postby NLEMECFC » Sat Jul 24, 2021 7:32 pm

Rich wrote "Strange one this as I have that frame Number down as manufactured in 1995. If Pete Davies signed your Dating Letter it must be a really old one as he stopped being LCGB Registrar around 2004 I think. Indian info' hase become a bit clearer since then and if I was to date your scooter now, I would put it as manufactured in 1995."

Just as well I'm not asking now then else i wouldn't have my cherished O*****W registration! :D

The letter isn't dated but it has a DVLA Peterborough stamp with 4/1/2005 across it and another saying REREGISTERED on it.

Cheers, Neil

PS I'm going to the Scooter gathering at Saracens Rugby Club tomorrow having now received my V5C :P !
NLEMECFC

Next

Return to Series 1, 2 & 3