LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Who Knows About Nova?

Technical help for Series one, two and three Lambrettas. Models include the Li, Li Special, TV, SX, GP, Serveta and API/SIL models

Who Knows About Nova?

Postby ToBoldlyGo » Fri Mar 12, 2021 7:08 pm

What exactly is the situation regarding Nova certificates now that we have left Europe? I have heard it said that they are no longer required, but I'm not sure exactly how that will affect us registering our scooters. Can anyone clarify the situation?
ToBoldlyGo

Re: Who Knows About Nova?

Postby Toot » Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:24 pm

ToBoldlyGo wrote:What exactly is the situation regarding Nova certificates now that we have left Europe? I have heard it said that they are no longer required, but I'm not sure exactly how that will affect us registering our scooters. Can anyone clarify the situation?

I'm sure Rich Oswald will be along shortly to answer any queries you have.
Toot

Postby Storkfoot » Sat Mar 13, 2021 12:04 am

I have no first hand experience but, from reading input from traders who do either import to the UK or export to us from the EU, I believe that NOVA is now irrelevant and replaced by the plethora of paperwork that Brexit has bestowed upon us.

Good old Brexit, eh :?
Storkfoot

Postby Rich Oswald » Sat Mar 13, 2021 6:34 pm

As far as I am aware NOVA is a requirement to register an imported scooter for the first time. I have not heard anything to the contrary. I have contacts who are NOVA experts and they have not said anything.
NOVA stands for " notification of vehicle arrival" and now we are out of The European Union it is more important than ever for HMRC to ascertain whether any VAT or import duty needs to be paid in the same way now for European scooters as it was and always has been for Indian scooters and any others outside the EEC.

Rich'
Rich Oswald

Location: Wiseman From The East (East Of The Pennines That Is)

Postby ToBoldlyGo » Sun Mar 14, 2021 3:32 pm

Well, there's the thing. We have two different opinions, when there really needs to be some clarity on this.
ToBoldlyGo

Postby gizmo » Sun Mar 14, 2021 9:41 pm

ToBoldlyGo wrote:Well, there's the thing. We have two different opinions, when there really needs to be some clarity on this.
On one dealers Facebook page he states it's no longer used but I've read elsewhere it still is. The mystery of the Nova :o
gizmo

Postby Rich Oswald » Sun Mar 14, 2021 9:43 pm

ToBoldlyGo wrote:Well, there's the thing. We have two different opinions, when there really needs to be some clarity on this.

What clarity do you need, you still need a NOVA to register and that's it clarified!
Rich Oswald

Postby ladsdad » Mon Mar 15, 2021 3:10 am

I'm inclined to agree with Rich on this..
I did a quick search & nowhere is there any mention of Nova being abolished or phased out... There is however a updated piece on Brexit buying & selling on Sluk which lists in detail the added hoops that will now need to be negotiated to import a old scooter in addition to what was there before.
As fate would have it, last week I decided to finally get round to registering a project I've had on the go for a while but seeing as my time is precious I've decided to let a Registration/Nova Expert handle it for me & hopefully bypass having to deall the bullsh#t personally.
Fingers crossed....
ladsdad

Postby nickw » Mon Mar 15, 2021 2:49 pm

Having just used the excellent skills of using Richard on getting a scooter registered I have been in contact with the NOVA office and I can assure you Richard is correct. A NOVA is still needed. What is more VAT may also now be payable for imports from Europe but as this is a different department to NOVA I did not seek to gain any info regarding this.
nickw

Postby Scooterlam » Mon Mar 15, 2021 10:57 pm

I've registered 4 bikes from states would imagine since Brexit.
Nova required for all 4.
Shipper handled it.
I would imagine Europe is just the same.
Declare and pay your duty within 14 days of arrival.
I can see people smuggling thier bikes out and reimporting them.
Scooterlam

Postby GRTDKAD » Sun Sep 12, 2021 11:17 pm

Here’s the link referred to above https://scooterlab.uk/brexit-all-you-ne ... g-feature/

..hope it’s okay to post.

I’ve just read through it as I’m currently drawn to a Lambretta out in Germany. My mate lives out there and there’s one local to him. Just reading through the link trying to understand the implications of buying a machine privately over there and getting it home to the UK. I was considering just jumping in a van but I guess that may not be a thing anymore.

Any one still doing this? Do I need to allow for 20% VAT (seems mental on a fifty year old machine? I’m sure the taxman isn’t due anything on it). Any other costs and factors I need to allow for other than a NOVA?
Sorry
GRTDKAD

Postby jdevane5 » Mon Sep 13, 2021 2:54 pm

Nova's are required, I just imported six scooters into UK from Outside Eu and two from inside Eu.
Its very straight forward to complete online and you then get your NOVA number for V5 etc..

And for scoots that are 30 yrs plus you only pay 5% VAT and no duty.
If you can prove the scoot has paid say an equivalent VAT in the country bought, you can get away sometimes without paying further VAT on the import.
You typically need a receipt for the sale showing that tax was paid in the country the scooter came from. You supply this to HRMC.
HRMC chat service are good for questions.

You need to also complete a C384 form for international importing as well as usual on line NOVA forms.

If you use a really good shipping agent they do nearly all the work for you.
I would recommend "Motofreight" superb service.
jdevane5

Postby bookertmgs1 » Mon Sep 13, 2021 4:51 pm

GRTDKAD wrote:
I’ve just read through it as I’m currently drawn to a Lambretta out in Germany. My mate lives out there and there’s one local to him. Just reading through the link trying to understand the implications of buying a machine privately over there and getting it home to the UK. I was considering just jumping in a van but I guess that may not be a thing anymore.
Sorry

Can you ride it back ?....

With regards to it being in a van - will / would they check any regstation plates ? May be something that comes up for the Euro's in the future as some use a van to get over the water
bookertmgs1

Postby Sx Kev » Fri Mar 17, 2023 7:16 pm

What happens if I buy a scooter in the uk from a private seller and it is not been registered at all will I be liable for vat on the purchase when I register it or can I claim it is a uk barn find the scooter has obviously been imported from Italy at some point any ideas
Sx Kev

Postby Rich Oswald » Sat Mar 18, 2023 1:22 pm

Sx Kev wrote:What happens if I buy a scooter in the uk from a private seller and it is not been registered at all will I be liable for vat on the purchase when I register it or can I claim it is a uk barn find the scooter has obviously been imported from Italy at some point any ideas

It will still need a NOVA but it is unlikely any VAT will be due.

Rich'
Rich Oswald

Postby gizmo » Sat Mar 18, 2023 3:02 pm

Rich Oswald wrote:
Sx Kev wrote:What happens if I buy a scooter in the uk from a private seller and it is not been registered at all will I be liable for vat on the purchase when I register it or can I claim it is a uk barn find the scooter has obviously been imported from Italy at some point any ideas

It will still need a NOVA but it is unlikely any VAT will be due.

Rich'
I put that I had bought it from a parts fair in Scunthorpe in 1990 and didn't have an issue
gizmo

Return to Series 1, 2 & 3