LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Legsheild Edge.

Technical help for Series one, two and three Lambrettas. Models include the Li, Li Special, TV, SX, GP, Serveta and API/SIL models

Legsheild Edge.

Postby Littlewheels » Wed Mar 17, 2021 11:18 pm

Another question someone has asked me is about Li legsheilds where the bottom outer beading caps fit. The hole that they attach to is extremely close to the edge so much so that the metal has corroded away.

The rusted area needs cutting out and a new piece bringing in but how can the metal be formed to replicate the original shape?

Anyone done this repair and can give advice :?:

Thanks.
Littlewheels

Re: Legsheild Edge.

Postby Littlewheels » Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:50 pm

Still looking for help with this one please?
Littlewheels

Postby missing lynx » Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:25 pm

Any welder/fabricator worth his salts should be able to patch and shape
missing lynx

Postby Knowledge » Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:25 pm

I have shaped the more-rounded legshield edge for Vespas using a mole grips. The jaws were modified with a cup welded on one jaw and a barrel welded to the other. As the jaws clamp together, it squashes the legshield edge into that distinctive half-round shape.

You might be able to adapt this principle for a Lambretta legshield, but I agree with the comment above about any welder worth their salt could do it (I could do it, and my welding is rubbish)
Knowledge

Postby lofty » Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:45 am

if its just the hole has crept too close to the edge I would try and build it up with a bit of weld, or let in a sliver of metal, doesnt have to be too pretty as its covered by the beading / end cap..

if more serious damage
i would find a random scrap of metal of suitable thickness
then use various tools (hammer, vice, grips, random chunks of wood or metal as formers) to bash/bend it into an acceptable shape to replace the damaged section.
cut out damage and weld in my new bit and make it look ok with grinder and filler..
lofty

Postby Danbretta » Sat May 01, 2021 8:18 am

I have repaired this area too, I'm no fabricator but was happy with the end result. After a 2 or 3 attempts I got it to where it needed to be. Depending how handy you are with this sort of thing its doable by a DIY'er. Are you planning to weld it too? Get a quote from a local fabricator/welder and weigh up the cost against your time and materials you'll need to invest in. I'm sure I have seen some beading pliers online that might work for the edge you need, otherwise a mentioned before you can make some. Good luck with it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Danbretta

Return to Series 1, 2 & 3