LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

S1 Front Brake Biting & Fork Springs Soft As

Technical help for Series one, two and three Lambrettas. Models include the Li, Li Special, TV, SX, GP, Serveta and API/SIL models

S1 Front Brake Biting & Fork Springs Soft As

Postby Granty » Sun Apr 25, 2021 6:00 pm

Out for a shakedown after a rebuild and thought I'd get away with minimum effort front end. When pulling front brake it's biting real hard no matter how softly the lever gets tickled. Also the springs are as soft as butter - just wondering if the butter soft fork springs are causing the bite or the brakes biting is causing the deep dive?

1s rebuild so learning as I go, cheers G
Granty

Re: S1 Front Brake Biting & Fork Springs Soft As

Postby coaster » Sun Apr 25, 2021 7:04 pm

New springs would be pretty much essential but worth chamfering the leading edges of the shoe lining and making sure the drum hasnt got rust on it.
coaster

Postby Granty » Sun Apr 25, 2021 8:15 pm

coaster wrote:New springs would be pretty much essential but worth chamfering the leading edges of the shoe lining and making sure the drum hasnt got rust on it.

Great advice, maybe get a start stripping this week, cheers G
Granty

Postby Granty » Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:53 pm

Granty wrote:
coaster wrote:New springs would be pretty much essential but worth chamfering the leading edges of the shoe lining and making sure the drum hasnt got rust on it.

Great advice, maybe get a start stripping this week, cheers G

Stripped forks, new springs ordered, there was rust in the drums so imery cloth into that, cleaned the pads up a bit. I'll rebuild forks tomorrow and report back
Granty

Postby missing lynx » Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:35 am

As you've got the drum apart why don't you replace the shoes? As if the shoes are contaminated or old asbestos based one they wouldn't be any use and taking a wire brush or file to the later is a potentially death sentence
missing lynx

Postby Granty » Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:39 pm

missing lynx wrote:As you've got the drum apart why don't you replace the shoes? As if the shoes are contaminated or old asbestos based one they wouldn't be any use and taking a wire brush or file to the later is a potentially death sentence

Good minds think alike buddy, had a look and the shoes are nothing like I've seen, they're getting the flick also. Weekend is now forks rebuild day I think.
Granty

Postby Granty » Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:09 pm

Mission accomplished - forks & drum refurbed and rebuilt with new springs & brake shoes - 2nd shakedown complete without mishap - I don't count the loss of brake light, speedo light, working speedo or handlebars slightly off center as mishaps, merely inconveniences -- thanks for the help with this :D
Granty

Postby missing lynx » Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:44 am

Nice one. It's always great to hear a positive outcome
missing lynx

Return to Series 1, 2 & 3