LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Another leak test question

Technical help for Series one, two and three Lambrettas. Models include the Li, Li Special, TV, SX, GP, Serveta and API/SIL models

Another leak test question

Postby Hammer RB230 » Sat May 01, 2021 11:34 am

Hi All
i took my RT 195 first time in a while thanks to COVID, all running well, go home and thought that the ticker was slightly high. Checked the plug(sorry don't know how to add a photo) and thought that the plug tip was a bit light in colour.

Thought i'd do a leak test to be sure, I think the recommended pressure is 200 mmhg but can only get to 120 the pressure falls to 100 then sits steady. I have sprayed soapy water everywhere and can't see a leak haven't taken the mag of yet, am i doing something wrong or am i putting of the inevitable engine strip. no sign of smokey exhaust so don't think its a drive side seal.

RT195
28MM DELLY - BREATH SWEET FILTER
BGM V4

Cheers
Hammer RB230

Re: Another leak test question

Postby Fast n Furious » Sat May 01, 2021 10:40 pm

Put a rubber johnny over the gearbox breather plug.
Do your leakdown test again.
If the johnny inflates..... then air is getting in past the drive seal.
If the mag seals have failed then there will likely be a tell tale oil slick behind the stator.
Fast n Furious

Postby coaster » Sun May 02, 2021 12:04 am

Hammer RB230 wrote:
Thought i'd do a leak test to be sure, I think the recommended pressure is 200 mmhg but can only get to 120 the pressure falls to 100 then sits steady. I have sprayed soapy water everywhere and can't see a leak haven't taken the mag of yet, am i doing something wrong or am i putting of the inevitable engine strip. no sign of smokey exhaust so don't think its a drive side seal.

I dont know what '200 mmhg' equates to but I thought the recomended figure was aroung 10 - 15 lbs as above that you will likely blow your seals as they arent intended to hold any real presure at all, just keep greese in and oil out. Holding prerssure is the key 8-)
coaster

Postby HxPaul » Sun May 02, 2021 8:45 am

260mmhg equates(spelling)to 5psi,mine is a rt225 and goes down steadily and reaches 100mmhg after about 15 minutes and holds steady.100mmhg equates to about 2psi,I cant find were its leaking from,so I called that a do.
HxPaul

Return to Series 1, 2 & 3