LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Split wheel rims recommendation please

Technical help for Series one, two and three Lambrettas. Models include the Li, Li Special, TV, SX, GP, Serveta and API/SIL models

Re: Split wheel rims recommendation please

Postby ULC Soulagent » Sat May 29, 2021 6:52 am

gaz_powell wrote:I've got 3pr of the MEC Ali splits, they look decent. Just not got round to fitting them up or on anything...

It's on the later base....

Had too weigh them against the steel version and just over half the weight @ 671grams :D
ULC Soulagent

Postby gaz_powell » Mon May 31, 2021 3:38 pm

Had some time on hands so trial fitted one of the MEC Ali split rims up, used a nearly new Serbia (not Thailand) made S1and a Mypol tube.......

Well it is the best split rim, I've ever put together, they line up perfect, no gap at the joints and the edge properly hugs the tyre.

Gonna swap my SIL rims (just done with SIP Performer tyres and Mypol tubes) on the GP for these.

I was lucky to get 3 for 60 quid posted, still sealed unused.... Bargain!!
gaz_powell

Postby Raveydavey » Tue Jun 01, 2021 9:11 pm

BGM now do a very high quality stainless split rim. Expensive but are a work of engineering genius. Hard as nails, very straight, and the studs fit in square holes.
Raveydavey

Postby ULC Soulagent » Tue Jun 01, 2021 10:36 pm

Raveydavey wrote:BGM now do a very high quality stainless split rim. Expensive but are a work of engineering genius. Hard as nails, very straight, and the studs fit in square holes.

Agree they are special but come at a special price £125+ :shock:
ULC Soulagent

Postby dickie » Wed Jun 02, 2021 7:21 am

I had some stainless rims from buzzsolomoto for £50 ish. They were perfectly straight and from memory went together nicely.

Not really sure how they could have been better. I only had the bike for maybe 1500 miles, so I have no idea how they lasted.
dickie

Postby gaz_powell » Wed Jun 02, 2021 5:52 pm

ULC Soulagent wrote:
Raveydavey wrote:BGM now do a very high quality stainless split rim. Expensive but are a work of engineering genius. Hard as nails, very straight, and the studs fit in square holes.

Agree they are special but come at a special price £125+ :shock:

I bought some BGM show chrome rims...worst rims I have every used....poor fit, profile edge wrong angle leaving a 5mm + " gutter" on tyre wall.....i say used but thats not correct after putting one together i stripped it parcelled it back up and sent the 4 bits of scrap back.
Im not the only one either.
gaz_powell

Postby Zefarelly » Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:27 am

I restored my 150 spoecial Eibar a few years back and used new Scootopia rims, repainted them and fitted with S1's I quickly noticed front end vibration, had a look whilst riding and stopped to change pants. tyres are not round and neither were the rims.

New BGM rims and classic tyres have transformed it. both are round true and concentric
Zefarelly

Postby Warkton Tornado No.1 » Sat Jun 05, 2021 9:43 am

I have been watching this Post & wonder that secondhand OEM rims are not on the list. As far as I am aware, there has always been a reasonably plentiful supply available, notably @ Parts Fairs.

Perhaps potential buyers consider it easier to buy new, but from previous comments, that is not often the case.

As the owner of a few Lambrettas, I doubt I am alone in accruing a dozen or so sets awaiting refreshment prior to fitting as projects (eventually!) progress. Most of mine will be from the sixties/early seventies & have come with a full bike, & therefore safe to presume OEM. I mention that as to find a any with Innocenti logo is an absolute rarity. Nonetheless, mine are all pretty good to my mind.

The only 'substitutes' (besides SIP)I have bought into are the CamLam alloys & the Resurrection Scooters(?) tubeless type which are both well made. The latter were probably only available in small quantities as I recall them having problems with buying the material for less than a complete SIP rI'm could be acquired.

To summarise, if I wanted to fit a set of freshly painted rims to one of my road scooters, I would select two or three sets from a source (in my case, my garage) & mount them, devoid of tyres, on a free spinning front hub with one end clamped securely in a good bench vice or bolted to a rigid structure. Spin them up & you can tell by eye the good ones from the bad ones.

Getting them prepared & painted/coated is an additional cost, but @ least there is the choice of colour as well as some assurance of quality.
Warkton Tornado No.1

Postby ULC Soulagent » Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:20 pm

martyn dwane wrote:whatever happened to the split rim tubeless that Pinasco ( i think) were bringing out ?
read about them possibly 18 months ago.

https://scooternova.com/2021/06/11/new- ... heel-rims/
ULC Soulagent

Previous

Return to Series 1, 2 & 3