LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Sound deadening

Technical help for Series one, two and three Lambrettas. Models include the Li, Li Special, TV, SX, GP, Serveta and API/SIL models

Sound deadening

Postby Storkfoot » Fri May 21, 2021 8:59 pm

I have s3 TV175 panels with the remnants of sound deadening paint on the insides.

I seem to recall Spanish Lynx models had this too and the rear mudguards on S1 Tv 175.

What paint was it and can you still get it?
Storkfoot

Re: Sound deadening

Postby Storkfoot » Fri May 21, 2021 10:59 pm

Storkfoot

Postby coaster » Sat May 22, 2021 10:25 am

That would do the trtick Paul but I suspect it would just have been regulsr 'underseal' back then which was also bitchument but with grainiy bits in it. That spray shutz in a modrrn and better coating.
coaster

Postby Storkfoot » Sat May 22, 2021 11:28 am

coaster wrote:That would do the trtick Paul but I suspect it would just have been regulsr 'underseal' back then which was also bitchument but with grainiy bits in it. That spray shutz in a modrrn and better coating.

Thanks, Col. I have just ordered a litre.
Storkfoot

Postby MK Monty » Sat May 22, 2021 12:44 pm

Halfords do a stone chip made by hamerite in grey white or black. Its a rubber type spray that I found a light coat let it bond then a couple of heavy coats and spray body colour or leave as is. everything has a dead ring to it on side panels and anything below the legshields. It fills any pitting, corrosion or even my shit welding.
MK Monty

Postby coaster » Sat May 22, 2021 1:01 pm

MK Monty wrote:Halfords do a stone chip made by hamerite in grey white or black. Its a rubber type spray that I found a light coat let it bond then a couple of heavy coats and spray body colour or leave as is. everything has a dead ring to it on side panels and anything below the legshields. It fills any pitting, corrosion or even my shit welding.

n shit welds
I've used that too, goes on very smooth and like you say helps 'blend in' imperfect welds, my old VW camper was covered in it.....and my chcken shit welding :?
coaster

Postby missing lynx » Sat May 22, 2021 7:18 pm

The stuff on my lynx was just like car underseal and dissolved in leaded petrol
missing lynx

Postby coaster » Sat May 22, 2021 11:13 pm

missing lynx wrote:The stuff on my lynx was just like car underseal and dissolved in leaded petrol

Being bitchumen based they'd all do that, no good with an open mouthed carb but I think Paul will be using a filter :?:
coaster

Postby Knowledge » Sun May 23, 2021 7:50 am

Paul and I have already compared notes on our SIII TV 175’s and they are very similar, if not identical.

I am going down the preservation route and I am planning to just hand wash my sound deadening: pressure washing would be good, but I am pretty sure it would strip it.

I don’t intend to replace any missing sound deadening, unless Paul’s come out really good.

Report back when you have the information Agent Storkfoot
Knowledge

Postby Storkfoot » Sun May 23, 2021 8:31 am

Knowledge wrote:Paul and I have already compared notes on our SIII TV 175’s and they are very similar, if not identical.

I am going down the preservation route and I am planning to just hand wash my sound deadening: pressure washing would be good, but I am pretty sure it would strip it.

I don’t intend to replace any missing sound deadening, unless Paul’s come out really good.

Report back when you have the information Agent Storkfoot

One of my panels is not original to the scooter, it is the later type with no tube covering the handle mechanism. There is no sound deadening on that one. That said, I am just going to bung it on the inside of both panels as it’ll protect against rust anyway.

I’ll post a picture when I have done it :)
Storkfoot

Postby coaster » Sun May 23, 2021 2:23 pm

Storkfoot wrote:[That said, I am just going to bung it on the inside of both panels as it’ll protect against rust anyway.

I’ll post a picture when I have done it :)

The old Underseal would dry out and get chipped allow water to get behind it so that panels rotted away from the inside. The modern stuff is much more flexible and bonds better.
coaster

Postby Storkfoot » Tue Jun 01, 2021 6:07 pm

I put it on pretty thickly with a brush. After a few hours in the sun, it is more or less dry.
Storkfoot

Postby Knowledge » Tue Jun 01, 2021 9:15 pm

So is that roughly how it would have looked when it was new from the factory?

That is the shape of my sound deadening, but I assumed that it had just worn away around the edge.

You learn something every day
Knowledge

Postby ToBoldlyGo » Tue Jun 01, 2021 9:39 pm

I think that's pretty much how it would have looked. It wasn't masked off or orderly, just slapped on. Somewhere I have pictures of a S3 TV175 panel that's been done like that.
ToBoldlyGo

Postby Storkfoot » Tue Jun 01, 2021 11:40 pm

One of my panels still had remnants of the stuff originally used. I just roughly followed that line.
Storkfoot

Postby coaster » Wed Jun 02, 2021 10:11 am

That is slavish following OEM practice a bit Paul :? :? I would have had to mask it off a bit :D
coaster

Postby Storkfoot » Wed Jun 02, 2021 1:58 pm

coaster wrote:That is slavish following OEM practice a bit Paul :? :? I would have had to mask it off a bit :D

No OCD here. I also slopped some on the underside of the rear mudguard. Innocenti would not approve :)
Storkfoot

Postby coaster » Wed Jun 02, 2021 2:39 pm

I wonder if its main function was to 'dampen' the panel to reduce flexing and cracking. Its usual now for automotive manufacturers to stick biumastic pads to all large flexible panels. Only a theory ;)
coaster

Postby vegansydney » Fri Jun 04, 2021 2:02 am

Knowledge wrote:I am going down the preservation route and I am planning to just hand wash my sound deadening: pressure washing would be good, but I am pretty sure it would strip it.

I've washed the panels (and rear mudguard etc...) on my Series 2 TV with a pressure washer more times than I can remember and I've never lost any of the sound deadening material. A few weeks ago I washed some early Series 3 TV panels with the pressure washer too, and all the original paint and sound deadening material is still intact.
vegansydney

Postby Knowledge » Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:09 pm

Thanks Sydney
Knowledge

Return to Series 1, 2 & 3