LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Rear brake cam question Li or Gp ?

Technical help for Series one, two and three Lambrettas. Models include the Li, Li Special, TV, SX, GP, Serveta and API/SIL models

Rear brake cam question Li or Gp ?

Postby al pushpak » Thu May 27, 2021 5:41 pm

Hi, was just wondering if I changed my GP rear brake cam for the thicker Li type with the appropriate matching shoes it would make my rear brake pedal less spongy? the reason I'm asking is my series 1 rear brake with the said parts has a very "solid" responsive feel to it. thanks in advance for any info ;)
al pushpak

Re: Rear brake cam question Li or Gp ?

Postby dickie » Fri May 28, 2021 10:08 am

I'd expect a more spongey feel from LI cam as it gives less brake shoe lift for every mm of movement at the pedal than the GP cam. LI cam can apply more force than GP though.

I did the opposite on my front drum. Changing the GP cam to LI made the brake less severe but I can brake harder as it effectively increases the lever length. As well as changing the cam, I fitted a Spanish lever at the hub as they are slightly longer; again, this made it less harsh (more spongey), but makes it more powerful.
dickie

Re: Rear brake cam question Li or Gp ?

Postby coaster » Fri May 28, 2021 12:26 pm

al pushpak wrote:Hi, was just wondering if I changed my GP rear brake cam for the thicker Li type with the appropriate matching shoes it would make my rear brake pedal less spongy? the reason I'm asking is my series 1 rear brake with the said parts has a very "solid" responsive feel to it. thanks in advance for any info ;)

I woulld recommend changing to a thicker rear brake cable if the pedal is spongy
coaster

Return to Series 1, 2 & 3