LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Bonkers Rev counter on Varitronic

Technical help for Series one, two and three Lambrettas. Models include the Li, Li Special, TV, SX, GP, Serveta and API/SIL models

Bonkers Rev counter on Varitronic

Postby Raveydavey » Tue Jun 01, 2021 5:28 pm

Wired up a Koso rev counter using one of their suggested methods: wrap the sensor wire around the HT lead. However when it runs the revs are really high: around 6 to7k at not much more than tickover. The stator is a Varitronic. Am I seeing the effect of the double spark? There is an option to wire it direct to the CDI but I cant think this would be any different. Any ideas clever people?
Raveydavey

Re: Bonkers Rev counter on Varitronic

Postby dickie » Wed Jun 02, 2021 7:17 am

The double spark will definitely be doubling what is displayed on the tacho. From the numbers you're giving, it sounds like there is something else at play here though.

Can the Koso be configured for different numbers of cylinders? Many can. If so, I'd start by setting it for twin cylinder operation.
dickie

Re: Bonkers Rev counter on Varitronic

Postby Raveydavey » Thu Jun 03, 2021 1:46 pm

Changed it last night to 2 stroke twin piston, and selected the low sensor setting. It's definitely better. Now the needle waves around like a really knackered speedo: loosely pointing at roughly the revs the engine in running at. I'm suspecting the sensor doesnt like being wrapped around the HT lead. The SIP Speedo (which are made by Koso) on my other bike has the rev sensor plugged in to the lighting circuit at the rectifier end. Might be the way forward?
Raveydavey

Return to Series 1, 2 & 3