LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Which Ignition Switch

Technical help for Series one, two and three Lambrettas. Models include the Li, Li Special, TV, SX, GP, Serveta and API/SIL models

Which Ignition Switch

Postby GoonerKev » Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:41 pm

Converting my Serveta Li150 S3 to 12V DC Battery, would like to have the ignition switch on headset instead of current location by Rear of seat R/H. what sort of ignition switch should I be looking for please.

Kev
GoonerKev

Re: Which Ignition Switch

Postby HxPaul » Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:13 am

I am using two ignition switches and both are Casa.
HxPaul

Postby Tractorman » Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:57 am

Some switches will not fit into a LI s3 headset even with fettling.
Tractorman

Postby GoonerKev » Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:08 am

HxPaul wrote:I am using two ignition switches and both are Casa.

Thanks mate
GoonerKev

Postby GoonerKev » Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:09 am

Tractorman wrote:Some switches will not fit into a LI s3 headset even with fettling.

So a bit of trial and error then, thank you mate.
GoonerKev

Postby missing lynx » Thu Jun 17, 2021 1:35 pm

GoonerKev wrote:
Tractorman wrote:Some switches will not fit into a LI s3 headset even with fettling.

So a bit of trial and error then, thank you mate.

If it's a Serveta then it will have the Special type headset (thrupenny bit) so all Lambretta key igninions should fit your only issue is a std key ignition controls the lights and so does the Serveta handlebar switch, to get round this on mine I only connected the kill circuit an left the light controlled by the switch. Btw have you tried the original ignition in the headset to see if it fits?
missing lynx

Postby GoonerKev » Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:27 pm

Hi thanks for that info, yes I have the Special type headset (thrupenny bit), the ignition switch on mine is on the rear of scooter just above the R/H side panel, so I assumed I would have to buy another key switch to put in headset, the flip switch in headset at the moment (see pic) is going to be taken out as no wires are connected to it. And I am putting a S3 light switch in on the right hand side to replace the BIG serveta light switch on there at the moment, also changing left hand side to S3 style as well
Kev

GoonerKev

Postby missing lynx » Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:42 pm

Never understood why serveta did that with the ignition switch on the 80's series but looking at the hole in the frame it should fit in the handlebars, but if you're going to replace the throttle support to fit an sx style switch then you may as well buy a new key ignition. I notice you've got the switch and idiot lights for indicators have you got them fitted?
missing lynx

Postby GoonerKev » Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:09 pm

missing lynx wrote:Never understood why serveta did that with the ignition switch on the 80's series but looking at the hole in the frame it should fit in the handlebars, but if you're going to replace the throttle support to fit an sx style switch then you may as well buy a new key ignition. I notice you've got the switch and idiot lights for indicators have you got them fitted?

Exactly, keys end up scratching the side panel !!. I have just ordered a S3 ignition switch (that can do AC & DC), No indicators were fitted when I bought it, just the switches with good old Spanish wiring inside the headset that led to nowhere :shock: , all I require on the scooter is the S3 light/Horn switch............nice and simple ;)

Kev
GoonerKev

Postby GRTDKAD » Mon Jul 26, 2021 10:23 am

A bit of a thread hijack here sorry.

Is there a step-by-step guide to replacing the Ignition Key anywhere?
I have checked Sticky’s bible and trawled YouTube but haven’t been able to spot.

Need to get back on the road quickly and painlessly after my ignition barrel on my GP disintegrated on Friday …

Have bought a CASA Lambretta replacement from Scooter Restorations (who deserve credit for speed of delivery)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GRTDKAD

Postby Rich Oswald » Mon Jul 26, 2021 10:38 am

Get in touch with Jem Booth, he may be able to re build your old lock / switch. He certainly does replacement keys.

jmb548t@yahoo.co.uk

Rich'
Rich Oswald

Location: Wiseman From The East (East Of The Pennines That Is)

Postby GRTDKAD » Mon Jul 26, 2021 12:56 pm

Thanks Rich, Jem would be a good idea but I’m kind of committed with replacing now as the old one was clearly passed its best - fallen apart and just a single, bent key.

So in with the new. I’m hoping that it’s literally a direct swap wire-by-wire.
GRTDKAD

Postby GoonerKev » Mon Aug 09, 2021 10:06 pm

Rich Oswald wrote:Get in touch with Jem Booth, he may be able to re build your old lock / switch. He certainly does replacement keys.

jmb548t@yahoo.co.uk

Rich'

Jem, certainly helped me out with my old original Toolbox lock, great service and quick.
GoonerKev

Return to Series 1, 2 & 3