LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Series 3 clutch

Technical help for Series one, two and three Lambrettas. Models include the Li, Li Special, TV, SX, GP, Serveta and API/SIL models

Series 3 clutch

Postby gazzar15 » Thu Jun 24, 2021 5:04 pm

My clutch on my series 3 is quite stiff to operate…not done more than 100 since engine build ….any ideas gents ? Seems to improve once going though
gazzar15

Re: Series 3 clutch

Postby Rich Oswald » Thu Jun 24, 2021 5:44 pm

Is it a new cable? Is it routed properly. What springs were used in the re-build? If yes to the first two and you don't have the stronger springs fitted then I suggest a Chiselspeed easy pull clutch conversion which are amazingly good. The conversion can only be done on a GP side casing so if you have any other type then you will need to purchase one of their ready converted GP side casings.
Rich Oswald

Location: Wiseman From The East (East Of The Pennines That Is)

Postby Fast n Furious » Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:25 pm

Check the clutch push cam actuator. That's the bit that contacts with the thimble on the clutch bell. If it's worn, then this will give poor clutch action. Cheap enough to replace.
A quality, nylon lined clutch cable is also a must.
Fast n Furious

Postby gazzar15 » Thu Jun 24, 2021 11:13 pm

My scoot is a 62 li
gazzar15

Postby hullygully » Fri Jun 25, 2021 11:59 am

has it still got the clutch nipple in situ?
is it the clutch spring pressure plate that has the rod that goes inside the cluster?
hullygully

Postby bookertmgs1 » Fri Jun 25, 2021 1:20 pm

Was the clutch operating normally & easier to pull prior to the new build ?
Have you changed the cable (inner or outer) recently?
Have you had the front horncasting / headset off recently ?
Is the clutch arm positioned on the splines correctly
Do you know what replacemnet clutch parts (if any) were used on the rebuild ?
Have you disconnected the arm / trunion and tested whether there is free movement between inner at the back & lever ?
bookertmgs1

Postby MickYork » Fri Jun 25, 2021 4:31 pm

I had a Rocco adapted motorcycle clutch on Avanti 225 which was working fine.
I set off from York to Mersea Island and burnt my clutch out in the centre of York.
My "mates" set off without me, whilst my son picked me up in a van and took me home.
The only available clutch at home was a second hand Indian GP which didn't look brilliant.
I fitted the second hand clutch but phoned a well known dealer near Doncaster and arranged to pick up new plates, springs and some oil on the way.
3 hours later i set off by myself with a clutch that slipped over 50mph.
I collected the clutch parts and put the plates in a sandwich bag, soaked in oil.
With my slipping clutch i made reasonable time and met with my mates and overnighted at Spalding.
I decided to wait until Mersea before changing the plates.
Arriving at Mersea I waited until the following morning to change the clutch.
Up bright and early i set about changing the clutch.
Pretty straight forward and in under 2 hours i had the new plates fitted.
The clutch was un-workable !! The lever needed the strength of ten men to pull in and was impossible to ride.
I suspected the clutch spider may have warped....
So stripped it down again, bought a new spider from a well known dealer from the North West (who confirmed the Indian spider looked bent).
All fitted and back together.....just the same !!
It was now past dinner time and my mates, who had been set watching, with their clean hands, were cracking the cans open and giving their opinions on the fault and cause.
Sure enough the Vespa rider, now on his 4th can kept on saying "could be the cable" .
After patiently explaining, several times, why this couldn't be the cause, in fit of pique, sweating, oily, generally pissed off and to prove a point i changed the cable.
Sure enough i then had the smoothest operating clutch i'd ever had, with no slippage what so ever.
With hindsight I suspect the cable was sticking, which caused the original burnt out clutch and then the damaged cable was sticking in the outer causing the stiff clutch operation.
So, in answer to your question, as others have suggested, change the cable !!
MickYork

Postby gazzar15 » Fri Jun 25, 2021 5:16 pm

Thanks for the hints and suggestions guys.Harry Barlow from Golbourne built and fitted the engine a couple of years ago and everything seemed fine then .I have just had her in and had the electric start kit fitted great idea as I have trouble kickstarting any bike due to buggered ankle which will be getting sorted very soon hopefully Great kit and works a treat but maybe the clutch cable is snagging up someplace after the work ….will see what she is like after a good blast over the next day or so.
gazzar15

Return to Series 1, 2 & 3