LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

DMD Diamond pistons

Technical help for Series one, two and three Lambrettas. Models include the Li, Li Special, TV, SX, GP, Serveta and API/SIL models

DMD Diamond pistons

Postby Storkfoot » Sat Jun 26, 2021 2:09 pm

I have a Tv175 2 ring piston. I bought it quite cheaply on eBay. I wasn’t planning on using it as I also bought what I thought was a NOS Borgo piston (turns out it must be a 175 Conversion piston).

Anyway, the DMD piston has come in a plain box although it is stamped DMD on the head of the piston.
An internet search leads me to believe that they are a Taiwanese company: ANQING DIAMOND(DMD) PISTON RING MANUFACTURING CO.,LTD.

Any thoughts or experiences as to whether I should use it on a standard motor?

Storkfoot

Re: DMD Diamond pistons

Postby Storkfoot » Sat Jun 26, 2021 8:40 pm

I see Scooter Restorations sell Diamond pistons which are Indian.

Does anyone know whether this is a Diamond piston?
Last edited by Storkfoot on Sun Jun 27, 2021 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Storkfoot

Postby Knowledge » Sun Jun 27, 2021 2:48 pm

I would trust the quality of a Taiwanese posting and rings, especially in an engine in a relatively low state of tune like the TV 175. I think someone told me that Taiwanese rings are often OEM parts for manufacturers.

Has anyone heard anything different?
Knowledge

Postby Warkton Tornado No.1 » Sun Jun 27, 2021 3:35 pm

The Taiwanese are reknowned for pistons (& rings) & include Mitaka.

The problem with replacement pistons for Lambrettas is that there is no longer a standard bearer such as Innocenti. So @ best you might get something that conforms to a standard suitable in the 1960's. That may be fine for a standard rebuild, but if pushing the boundaries, I will always select a piston intended for another market: Honda, Kawasaki, Polaris, Suzuki, Yamaha etc

That said, I put a GOL piston in an extensively reworked Indian alloy barrel & it went well. It looked well made & had nice rings, so better than expensive 'Lambretta specific' pistons designed by somebody whose only credentials are that they like taking money.
Warkton Tornado No.1

Postby Storkfoot » Sun Jun 27, 2021 5:26 pm

Thanks for the replies. I was quite comforted when I saw they may be Taiwanese, however, I have since see that Diamond are Indian, not that that is necessarily a bad thing.

The piston is 170g as opposed to the Borgo that was on the scooter which was 209g. But the ring pegs look a bit flimsy to me the more I look at the piston. I think I’ll keep it as an emergency replacement and get a Mahle or GOL, both of which I have used in the past.
Storkfoot

Return to Series 1, 2 & 3