LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Fowled Plug Tick List

Technical help for Series one, two and three Lambrettas. Models include the Li, Li Special, TV, SX, GP, Serveta and API/SIL models

Fowled Plug Tick List

Postby Granty » Sun Jul 18, 2021 7:20 pm

Afternoon All -- helping a boy out with his scooter. Gp 200 lump, 26mm Dellorto breathing through a Breath sweet filter,Kryptonic ignition tuning box (MBD). The bike keeps bogging down and fowling the plug nearly black. I'm not going near the stator & ignition so doing the basics for him tomorrow - I've already changed the plug out (B8) and tomorrow will
- check if choke is jammed on
- strip carb and clean
- clean remote filter
- check spark & take it for a ride

Couple of questions
1. How do you clean a foam filter?
2. Is there anything else I should be checking before open heart surgery?

Cheers G
Granty

Re: Fowled Plug Tick List

Postby ULC Soulagent » Sun Jul 18, 2021 8:27 pm

First of all is get rid of the kytronic as it’s wasted on a standard Gp lump.
There is special cleaning stuff for cleaning the foam filter but you can use good oul soap n water.
Can’t really go further until ya know carb internal specs
ULC Soulagent

Postby missing lynx » Sun Jul 18, 2021 8:32 pm

You need a special foam filter cleaner, available from most motorcycle shops or the internet I always use foam filter oil on mine it makes them clean more efficiently. The question I will always ask is has it run properly until recently or have you just built it and its not run right since?
missing lynx

Postby MickYork » Sun Jul 18, 2021 8:39 pm

I use soapy water to clean mine then spray with filter oil. The oil helps trap dust particles.

Worth checking the carb' spec to make sure it's not set up to rich and checking the timing isn't over retarded would be worth doing ? Has it been set at 17/18 forgetting the Krytronic retards the timing ?
MickYork

Postby Granty » Mon Jul 19, 2021 4:57 pm

MickYork wrote:I use soapy water to clean mine then spray with filter oil. The oil helps trap dust particles.

Worth checking the carb' spec to make sure it's not set up to rich and checking the timing isn't over retarded would be worth doing ? Has it been set at 17/18 forgetting the Krytronic retards the timing ?

Thanks Boys -- wee update, bike seriously running way too rich, flooding basically and the plug soaking wet & fouled .. so

- Kytronic was taken off before I got to it & strobed to 17
- new Fuel, plug, good spark
- Took remote filter off it to run open mouthed up and down the street & running OK
- cleaned carb out -- jetting is
AV266
X7 (clip 2nd from top)
117 Main
50 Pilot
40 Slide
70 Choke
300 Float Valve
Running open mouthed
Franspeed super tourer exhaust
Does this sound ball park??

My mate is going to run about carefully, next step is to double check the timing -- All advice gratefully received -- G
Granty

Postby Warkton Tornado No.1 » Mon Jul 19, 2021 5:13 pm

The common schoolboy error with the PH carburettors is the gash design needle retaining plate being placed below the needle circlip, rather than on top.

The consequence is 'variable jetting' to match the variable ignition :D
Warkton Tornado No.1

Postby Granty » Mon Jul 19, 2021 5:42 pm

Warkton Tornado No.1 wrote:The common schoolboy error with the PH carburettors is the gash design needle retaining plate being placed below the needle circlip, rather than on top.

Indeed -- the other thing of course just maybe operational error -- in being that this set ups best performance is on the open road and a reasonable lick rather then tootling about the houses? hahaha .
Granty

Postby bookertmgs1 » Tue Jul 20, 2021 10:35 am

Warkton Tornado No.1 wrote:The common schoolboy error with the PH carburettors is the gash design needle retaining plate being placed below the needle circlip, rather than on top.

Now counting down the hours to the end of the day to double check whether my circlip is below the plate. theres a recess for the circlip in the slide so am certain its right - but ...........

Cleaning the foam filter - I just clean it in petrol ?
bookertmgs1

Postby Warkton Tornado No.1 » Tue Jul 20, 2021 8:26 pm

bookertmgs1 wrote:

Now counting down the hours to the end of the day to double check whether my circlip is below the plate. theres a recess for the circlip in the slide so am certain its right - but ...........

Cleaning the foam filter - I just clean it in petrol ?

TBH, getting it sorted is the result we all want :(
Warkton Tornado No.1

Return to Series 1, 2 & 3