LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Fuel tap seal

Technical help for Series one, two and three Lambrettas. Models include the Li, Li Special, TV, SX, GP, Serveta and API/SIL models

Fuel tap seal

Postby gazzar15 » Mon Jul 26, 2021 5:12 pm

Hi …I have a leaky tap and it appears to be leaking from where the tap meets the tank…Is there anything compound wise I can put on the thread to stop it leaking?
Thanks
gazzar15

Re: Fuel tap seal

Postby nickw » Mon Jul 26, 2021 5:50 pm

I've used ptf tape in the past. Not sure if that worked or if I tightened tap correctly second time around
nickw

Postby missing lynx » Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:37 pm

One thing to check is the nut hasn't tightened against the tank or the tap before it's pulled them together if that doesn't work I would use an appropriate sized fibre washer
missing lynx

Postby Warkton Tornado No.1 » Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:57 pm

Current tap manufacture has combined the washer & filter screen. As missing lynx suggests, the OEM taps used fibre washers which I think provide a better seal, being compressible. Any domestic plumbing will tend to use fibre washers on mains water under pressure, nylon on gravity pressure.

There is not a lot of surface area on the sealing faces of the tank or tap, & whatever washer is used can be augmented with a fuel proof sealant, such as red Hermetite. Of course, if you can file flat, the tank sealing face can easily be improved, the additional bonus being more thread engagement. Quite useful if the joining nut is made of monkey metal.....

Folded copper washers work, but so do 'O' rings, the problem being with the latter being the tap will not actually be 'locked' in position & will swivel. That's alright if you don't want the tap lever to remain tight to the bodywork, I suppose. Personally, I think it looks gash when the rod can be seen, but obviously it doesn't concern a lot of Lambretta owners..... :?
Warkton Tornado No.1

Postby gazzar15 » Mon Jul 26, 2021 10:04 pm

Was wondering about that but unsure if petrol would affect it
gazzar15

Return to Series 1, 2 & 3