LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Bike Insurance

Technical help for Series one, two and three Lambrettas. Models include the Li, Li Special, TV, SX, GP, Serveta and API/SIL models

Bike Insurance

Postby Specialcase » Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:32 pm

I’m losing the will to live trying to insure my Scoot!
As soon as I list the Mods/Upgrades companies are coming back with double premiums. Most comparison sites don’t include a facility to add Mods on so end up on a phone being refused by extortionate premiums. Is there anybody out there that deals with a company that will insure a modified bike.
Just BGM RT clubman exhaust & 25mm Carb + VAPE
Cheers All
Spl
Specialcase

Re: Bike Insurance

Postby coaster » Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:39 pm

Carol Nash, TR Youngs both know scooters and the popular kit upgrades
coaster

Postby Rich Oswald » Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:55 pm

I'd avoid the company above with the girls name in it like the plague. They don't like modifications. Try Peter James, really good to deal with. Oh and do it over the phone, online quotes are really difficult to do with all the modifications.

Rich'
Rich Oswald

Location: Wiseman From The East (East Of The Pennines That Is)

Postby Nudger » Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:56 pm

I've always found Footman James good - plus they advertise in JetSet and offer members a discount
Nudger

Postby Nigel. S » Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:32 pm

Peter James were OK when I spoke to them about my kit and the increase in capacity, RT kit. No increase in premium.
Nigel. S

Postby Specialcase » Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:08 pm

Thanks guys had quotes from about £60 -£350. Also what has happened to Flux they used to be so competitive did all my classic cars thru them! Pricing themselves out of the market. I did it with FootmanJames. I could just put in the Mods on their menu & bingo - £200 leathers etc, Rescue, Agreed Value, Legal Cover + Very low Excess & Club discount!
My House & Cars insurers NFU came in at £640 - by their own admission “not their field” the clue was in their name!
Good old LCGB
Specialcase

Postby coaster » Fri Jul 30, 2021 12:32 am

Rich Oswald wrote:I'd avoid the company above with the girls name in it like the plague. They don't like modifications. Try Peter James, really good to deal with. Oh and do it over the phone, online quotes are really difficult to do with all the modifications.

Rich'

Ive been with CN for 7 or 8 years now on a multi scooter policy and they have been great and havent batted an eye lid with an Avanti, TS1, GT240 or even my home brewed 225 reed valved motor. Not the cheapest and I may have been lucky but I'm happy to keep using. Orobably luck of the draw who deals with the application :?
coaster

Postby hullygully » Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:32 am

ditto 8-)
hullygully

Postby Rich Oswald » Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:58 am

coaster wrote:
Rich Oswald wrote:I'd avoid the company above with the girls name in it like the plague. They don't like modifications. Try Peter James, really good to deal with. Oh and do it over the phone, online quotes are really difficult to do with all the modifications.

Rich'

Ive been with CN for 7 or 8 years now on a multi scooter policy and they have been great and havent batted an eye lid with an Avanti, TS1, GT240 or even my home brewed 225 reed valved motor. Not the cheapest and I may have been lucky but I'm happy to keep using. Orobably luck of the draw who deals with the application :?

Colin, I spent an hour with them on the phone trying to renew with a guy who clearly hadn't a clue! I was just adding a fourth scooter also. Went through all the modifications and all he could do is suck back thro' his teeth. Finally he told me they couldn't insure me although three of the scooters had been Insured with them previously with no changes and the added one had the least modifications. Never again!

Rich'
Rich Oswald

Postby coaster » Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:21 am

I think it must be the luck of the draw with a lot of companies, Rich, I was ith TR Young for a few years but they more than doubled my premium on one renewal and couldnt give me an explanation (no claims, change of situation or scooters). CN matched the price and threw in free continental recovery. I have used the provided Claims Assistance once and it worked well and have phoned the head office a few times when I couldnt find my policy and found them friendly and efficient.....That said, this post has reminded me that I need to let them know about the GT00 kit nthats replaced the Avanti, fingers crossed ;)
coaster

Postby missing lynx » Fri Jul 30, 2021 12:12 pm

When I was after a quote the girl I was talking to from the one with the girls name didn't know what a conservatory was which was where I kept my scooter a the time!!
missing lynx

Postby Rich Oswald » Fri Jul 30, 2021 12:44 pm

missing lynx wrote:When I was after a quote the girl I was talking to from the one with the girls name didn't know what a conservatory was which was where I kept my scooter a the time!!

:shock: :lol: :lol:
Rich Oswald

Postby superhooper » Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:38 pm

Regarding Carole Nash Insurance.
I forgot to renew my insurance and when i phoned up to renew they couldn't find my details.
They were helpful but i had to start from scratch, anyway long story but i phoned again and spoke to someone else, it turned out they are running a new system but this guy new how to get into the old one and found them. Result.
This new system may be why people are having problems, been with them for a long time no other problems.

Super
superhooper

Postby gaz_powell » Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:28 pm

Peter James renewal 3 quid up on last year.
Jet, SIL GP, Italian GP, Indian S2, P2 all agreed values and alterations declared £158...
gaz_powell

Postby Rich Oswald » Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:00 pm

gaz_powell wrote:Peter James renewal 3 quid up on last year.
Jet, SIL GP, Italian GP, Indian S2, P2 all agreed values and alterations declared £158...

Same here, £4 increase on 4 scooters.
Rich Oswald

Return to Series 1, 2 & 3