LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Piston replacement

Technical help for Series one, two and three Lambrettas. Models include the Li, Li Special, TV, SX, GP, Serveta and API/SIL models

Piston replacement

Postby Moulins1914 » Sun Aug 15, 2021 3:20 pm

Hi, I've just removed my piston from my SIL barrel and it looks like a standard 3 ring Mahle(?) piston. The rings need replacing but the piston to bore clearance is OK. I was wondering whether to replace the piston with a better one so was after recommendations? Or to just replace the rings. Though I have read that if I replace the rings not to bother fitting the bottom ring?
Moulins1914

Re: Piston replacement

Postby Scooterslag » Sun Aug 15, 2021 7:23 pm

Nothing wrong with a Mahle piston in a standard(ish) set up, been using them for years and their fine. I'd just replace the rings and pop it back together. Paul ;)
Scooterslag

Re: Piston replacement

Postby Fast n Furious » Sun Aug 15, 2021 9:01 pm

It's always wise to carefully check the corner radii areas where the skirt joins the gudgen pin area for hairline stress cracks, to confirm if the piston remains servicable.
The 3 can, crack detection spray kit, which comprises of a cleaner, a penetrant and a developer, will show up any stress cracks as a thin red line. A big help if your eyesight is not the 20/20 it used to be.
Admittedly, this stuff is not a stock product in most lammy sheds and the downside is that the kit costs about £40. Although, you dont need the cleaner if you've already got some carb cleaner spray on the shelf, bringing the outlay down to about £25.
Twenty five quid would fare well toward the cost of a new piston I suppose............ Hmmmm. :?:
Fast n Furious

Return to Series 1, 2 & 3