LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Catastrophic rear hub issue...

Technical help for Series one, two and three Lambrettas. Models include the Li, Li Special, TV, SX, GP, Serveta and API/SIL models

Catastrophic rear hub issue...

Postby Andy B.L.C. » Mon Aug 16, 2021 9:05 pm

ImageImage
Imagethe nearest shell gas station near me[url=https://postimg.cc/HJy9Bf1N]Image[/url]

SO.... This is a straight out of the box, from a reliable British company, fitment.There was no play on fitment, no washers were forgotten & the hub nut torqued up to the correct setting...

Less than 500 miles later...

The cone slit is squeezed shut & the badly pitted cone is seriously sloppily loose on the layshaft. The ally splotches on the hub are from the weather lip on the engine block melting as the hub was wonking out. Thankfully not mine, all I can think is that the cone failed as it was made of cheese (if so add to a long list of other remade 'bretta parts...) any ideas gents, with thanks!
Andy B.L.C.

Re: Catastrophic rear hub issue...

Postby Chadley » Mon Aug 16, 2021 9:52 pm

I don't know about the cause of that failure but I find it really frustrating that there are so many remade parts that deliberately carry the Innocenti logo mark when they share nothing of the pedigree or quality control of the original manufacturer.
Chadley

Postby ULC Soulagent » Tue Aug 17, 2021 3:29 pm

Two of our club members recently suffered this same fate, one doesn’t do maintenance so pulled up while we where waiting for a few more members turning up and complained his rear brake was shite, we quick peek down around that area confirmed his brake issues was the least of his worries as he had the exact same problem as in Andy’s pics. Although his locking ring n hex screw had disappeared. The 2nd rider had the same issue on the ride back but he had the Tino safe hub :shock: and the locking ring n Hex nut was still intact. Only thing I could think of was that a bigger wavy washer was used thus allowing the hub nut to unwind.
ULC Soulagent

Postby Warkton Tornado No.1 » Wed Aug 18, 2021 12:39 pm

The fundamental problem is the material from which the cone is constructed. Although there are no images of the cone bore, that will almost certainly be splined now.

I've had this problem for many years & mentioned it a few times. Serveta rear hubs, being IMO the best OEM type, often get sourced with no matching cone. Of all the replacements I have obtained, not one has been hard enough. I bought some from Scooter Restorations that fit well (always use grinding paste) but are too soft. I expected better from them with the purchasing power they enjoy, they need to ensure remade components comply to specification ensuring safety of the buyers.

BTW. That hub is still useable if a good cone can be sourced. The splines are purely for location, not drive or support. That is the function of the cone. Good Luck with finding a source of good cones.....
Warkton Tornado No.1

Postby Scooterslag » Wed Aug 18, 2021 1:58 pm

Warkton Tornado No.1 wrote:The fundamental problem is the material from which the cone is constructed. Although there are no images of the cone bore, that will almost certainly be splined now.

I've had this problem for many years & mentioned it a few times. Serveta rear hubs, being IMO the best OEM type, often get sourced with no matching cone. Of all the replacements I have obtained, not one has been hard enough. I bought some from Scooter Restorations that fit well (always use grinding paste) but are too soft. I expected better from them with the purchasing power they enjoy, they need to ensure remade components comply to specification ensuring safety of the buyers.

BTW. That hub is still useable if a good cone can be sourced. The splines are purely for location, not drive or support. That is the function of the cone. Good Luck with finding a source of good cones.....

Excuse the thread hijack but is there a way of identifying a OEM cone? got a couple in the shed and wondered if any were Innocenti , serveta etc. Paul
Scooterslag

Return to Series 1, 2 & 3