LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Front dampers

Technical help for Series one, two and three Lambrettas. Models include the Li, Li Special, TV, SX, GP, Serveta and API/SIL models

Front dampers

Postby Tractorman » Wed Aug 25, 2021 12:12 pm

Do any front dampers work both ways? Looking for some that will also dampen on braking.
Tractorman

Re: Front dampers

Postby dickie » Wed Aug 25, 2021 8:12 pm

I really can't remember what make they were, but I bought them from a shop in East Yorkshire that many seem to have problems with (am I still within forum rules?).

They were polished stainless steel and the only ones I've ever encountered that damped significantly in both directions.
dickie

Postby lofty » Thu Aug 26, 2021 9:21 am

old stylee 'kawasaki' steering dampers maybe?
lofty

Postby Rich Oswald » Thu Aug 26, 2021 10:02 am

lofty wrote:old stylee 'kawasaki' steering dampers maybe?

They definitely only damp one way!
Rich Oswald

Location: Wiseman From The East (East Of The Pennines That Is)

Postby missing lynx » Thu Aug 26, 2021 11:47 am

I would look at mini motorbikes, quads or carting, I did start looking myself it's just finding the right dimensions that's the hard bit
missing lynx

Postby dickie » Thu Aug 26, 2021 1:02 pm

Rich Oswald wrote:

Then they're not steering dampers. Or they're knackered.
dickie

Postby Rich Oswald » Thu Aug 26, 2021 4:00 pm

dickie wrote:
Rich Oswald wrote:

Then they're not steering dampers. Or they're knackered.

Yes You are right, mine WERE knackered. :lol: :lol:
Rich Oswald

Location: Wiseman From The East (East Of The Pennines That Is)

Postby Warkton Tornado No.1 » Fri Aug 27, 2021 11:25 am

OEM dampers work in both directions but predominantly in rebound. They do actually control compression a small amount but their main function is to prevent oscillation or 'pogo-ing'. I took a knackered one to bits to see how they worked & reckon that some would be rebuildable, in which case a heavier weight oil springs to mind :idea:

The standard OEM Innocenti & Serveta dampers are far better than they are given credit for. Dave Webster used them extremely successfully which, IMHO is great testament. Of the alternatives, Bitobo aftermarket dampers intended for Vijay are highly prized & also were utilised with great success by another race champion, Charlie Edmonds.

The worst front ends I have ever tried (other than badly set anti-dive) are no dampers @ all closely followed by the Kawasaki type steering dampers.....

I'm just saying :roll: but perhaps with a sidecar things may be completely different. I wonder if Serveta might be worth a try, but the forks & links are somewhat specific.

If this response has put you in a quandary, I apologise, but I found the Kwak type unbelievably dire, though I suppose I have had to be a bit of a 'chassis man' having fell off so many times :oops:

I have no idea of the practicality, but I could lend you a set of bare Serveta forks, links & dampers I'm otherwise hoarding......
Warkton Tornado No.1

Postby dickie » Fri Aug 27, 2021 11:56 am

I'd expect a steering damper to be appalling on suspension. Generally speaking any compression damping should be much less than rebound which is trying to counteract the spring energy and the consequent kinetic energy as the front bobs up.

It's a good approximation to think of compression damping as helping to make the spring action more linear. With spring only on compression, the rate rises rapidly as the spring compresses. With a damper, you can run a softer spring.

I've had good results in the past by simply using heavier oil in forks.
dickie

Return to Series 1, 2 & 3