LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Low resistance on kick over

Technical help for Series one, two and three Lambrettas. Models include the Li, Li Special, TV, SX, GP, Serveta and API/SIL models

Low resistance on kick over

Postby Geocamper » Tue Aug 31, 2021 10:00 pm

I’m getting very low resistance on kick over. The lambretta still kick over and runs nicely after a couple of kicks. The lambretta used to have quite good resistance. Am I about to experience some issues or is it ok? I would be grateful for any feedback. Thanks
Geocamper

Re: Low resistance on kick over

Postby dickie » Wed Sep 01, 2021 5:26 am

Something has changed. Could be clutch starting to slip or maybe partially gummed rings.
dickie

Postby HxPaul » Wed Sep 01, 2021 9:53 am

Geocamper wrote:I’m getting very low resistance on kick over. The lambretta still kick over and runs nicely after a couple of kicks. The lambretta used to have quite good resistance. Am I about to experience some issues or is it ok? I would be grateful for any feedback. Thanks
I wish mine was,my compression is rediculas(spelling)I have an rt225.
HxPaul

Postby Geocamper » Sat Sep 04, 2021 10:35 am

Thanks for the replies guys. Done a compression test. Does 75psi seem a little on the low side? She runs fine if a little boggy on pick up. Released the clutch tension on the cable as the clutch would slap going into first gear on cold start. Still the kickstart is spongy. Where do I go from here? Complete novice. Cheers
Geocamper

Postby MickYork » Sat Sep 04, 2021 10:57 am

The compression does seem low but if the engine's running ok is it an issue?

The engine may have "loosened up" after a re-build (1000 miles?) which also may account for the easier kick-over, that's obviously if it's had a re-build.....
MickYork

Postby Geocamper » Sat Sep 04, 2021 11:10 am

Thanks Mick, The top end and clutch was rebuilt about 4 years ago but the lambretta hasn’t really been used in the last three years. Maybe it’s done about a thousand miles max. Checked the plug and the colour is bang on. I’ll be giving it a run over the next couple of days to get everything moving again. Cheers
Geocamper

Postby Fast n Furious » Sat Sep 04, 2021 11:27 pm

Geocamper wrote:Thanks for the replies guys. Done a compression test. Does 75psi seem a little on the low side? She runs fine if a little boggy on pick up. Released the clutch tension on the cable as the clutch would slap going into first gear on cold start. Still the kickstart is spongy. Where do I go from here? Complete novice. Cheers

Lambretta engines are awkward when connecting up a compression tester to the spark plug orifice.
To get an accurate pressure reading, the one way valve part of the gauge must sit in the spark plug hole. A lot of people screw in an extension / adaptor hose here first to make an easier connection but the volume within this extra bit of hose then gets added to the cylinder head volume and corrupts the reading. If you did it this way using a typical £15 compression tester kit then 75psi would be a good indication, just not a technically correct reading.
Fast n Furious

Postby Geocamper » Sat Sep 04, 2021 11:38 pm

You have just described how much I paid for a compression kit and how I connected it to the plug hole. It’s still kicks over,Starts and runs lovely so hopefully it’s all ok.
Geocamper

Return to Series 1, 2 & 3