LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Electrics

Technical help for Series one, two and three Lambrettas. Models include the Li, Li Special, TV, SX, GP, Serveta and API/SIL models

Electrics

Postby aby » Sun Sep 26, 2021 11:36 am

Hi all any help please,
Originally had no headlight and changed bulb all other lights worked still no headlight then all lights stopped working.
thought it was to do with the headlight rim earth, removed it and fixed a new direct to the headset, lights came on with tickover then off then on etc pleasing itself when it does curently not working.
I am presuming its an earth issue somewhere ( I remember hitting a bit of a pothole last time out so presume thats moved something)
Am I best starting from rear light and move to the front or rear to front.
Definitely power at headset as I got a shock.
Its an sx200 non battery.
aby

Re: Electrics

Postby Warkton Tornado No.1 » Sun Sep 26, 2021 1:17 pm

Electrical systems rely upon good mechanical fixings & contacts. That is all that will be wrong with your scooter.

If I were you I would disconnect any suspect (or even all of them) connection one @ a time (taking photos if necessary to ensure correct reassembly) clean up with Scotchbrite if necessary, followed by a good electrical contact cleaner (Halfords own brand is a good price & leaves no residue but sells out quickly) then reassemble ensuring a good fit. If needs be, gently tweak any fitting where there is slop, such as in the headset push in junctions, which may also have loose rivets. Occasionally there will be a broken wire inside an intact sleeving, but that is rare IMHO. Earth connections are no different really, though any stud or screw/washers are best in brass. Brass studs with brass nuts/washers are a better fixing than screws/bolts. Avoid stainless like the plague as it can be a poor conductor & aluminium needs to be clean of the surface oxides that naturally occur.

If you do the above, the issue will go away, whatever it is, unless it is a dodgy switch (including key 'ignition' switches) which are still 'fixable' if OEM, though more involved.
Warkton Tornado No.1

Postby aby » Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:31 pm

Warkton Tornado No.1 wrote:Electrical systems rely upon good mechanical fixings & contacts. That is all that will be wrong with your scooter.

If I were you I would disconnect any suspect (or even all of them) connection one @ a time (taking photos if necessary to ensure correct reassembly) clean up with Scotchbrite if necessary, followed by a good electrical contact cleaner (Halfords own brand is a good price & leaves no residue but sells out quickly) then reassemble ensuring a good fit. If needs be, gently tweak any fitting where there is slop, such as in the headset push in junctions, which may also have loose rivets. Occasionally there will be a broken wire inside an intact sleeving, but that is rare IMHO. Earth connections are no different really, though any stud or screw/washers are best in brass. Brass studs with brass nuts/washers are a better fixing than screws/bolts. Avoid stainless like the plague as it can be a poor conductor & aluminium needs to be clean of the surface oxides that naturally occur.

If you do the above, the issue will go away, whatever it is, unless it is a dodgy switch (including key 'ignition' switches) which are still 'fixable' if OEM, though more involved.

Cheers for reply,
After going to the garage and starting it up lights came on again bright and good so while flicking from dip to main I tried the horn ..nothing… bugger,,,opened the horn casing grill and found it was fitted with 6volt horn attached on one strap with one connection, other wire was detached from spade end and when turning the handlebar the cable moved slightly upwards. so extended the cable fitted better spade ends with boots (as other were just wrapped with tape) and all good.
I presume the 6v horn will be ok on 12v electronic ignition as it seems loud enough but ordering a proper one anyway, can’t see why people do them up and skrimp on important bits. Need to get this on the ramp and do more checks I think.
aby

Postby Warkton Tornado No.1 » Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:15 pm

I've run 12 v only since '73 (all with points for reliability ;) ) & never used a 12 v electric horn. Save your money.....
Warkton Tornado No.1

Return to Series 1, 2 & 3