LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Series 3 build Questions...

Technical help for Series one, two and three Lambrettas. Models include the Li, Li Special, TV, SX, GP, Serveta and API/SIL models

Series 3 build Questions...

Postby jdevane5 » Thu Sep 30, 2021 1:19 pm

I have new legshelds , mudguard and horn cast on my current Li build...

Is it wise to pre-drill the legshield beading end caps (both ends) on the dry build? (Makes sense...missed this bit).

And the top end cap hole is so close to the edge of the legshield!! -Feels better to make it a slot then attempt drill a hole.

And when sitting the legshield to mudguard / horn casing seals in place has any one used a glue to help the seal profile stay in place on a painted surface? I was going to try some silicone gasket sealant to help keep the seals from moving.

Any pointers welcome -Cheers
JD
jdevane5

Re: Series 3 build Questions...

Postby coaster » Thu Sep 30, 2021 2:26 pm

I have used super glue to glue the gaskets to the horn cast and bridge piece in the past and yes drill all your holes before paint or youn will have exposed steel waiting to rust later
coaster

Re: Series 3 build Questions...

Postby Warkton Tornado No.1 » Thu Sep 30, 2021 2:49 pm

I too have glued & also used silicon sealant but be aware that the silicon can smear about with subsequent polishing & superglue can rip paint off when the horncasting is removed for whatever reason.

i tend to hold the beading in place with a not-too-tacky masking tape top, middle & bottom with loads of it sticking out that I then wriggle out of place in the final tightening up stage. I think the gasket/beading needs to be able to 'float' so that it can lay on the legshield surface where a gap would be more apparent, if that makes sense :?: The gasket/beading can then conform to the shape of the legshield which is more important than being hard onto the horncasting edge, which will be covered up in any case, even if a gap exists, as it won't be apparent.
Warkton Tornado No.1

Return to Series 1, 2 & 3