LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Late SX and GP standard exhausts.

Technical help for Series one, two and three Lambrettas. Models include the Li, Li Special, TV, SX, GP, Serveta and API/SIL models

Late SX and GP standard exhausts.

Postby Storkfoot » Thu Oct 21, 2021 5:24 pm

It’s an anorak type question but it’s bugging me.

This is an aftermarket exhaust. It’s a clamp type tailpipe as you can see. My question- should the clamp not be at 180 degrees to the road, if you see what I mean?

I did tell you it was an anorak question :shock:
Storkfoot

Re: Late SX and GP standard exhausts.

Postby humble » Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:54 pm

Yes, I think it should be at 180 as you suggest, vertical to scooter if that makes sense?
humble

Postby Storkfoot » Thu Oct 21, 2021 9:16 pm

humble wrote:Yes, I think it should be at 180 as you suggest, vertical to scooter if that makes sense?

I thought so too although I have never owned an original. I wish I’d spotted it when I bought it about 18 months ago. I shall send the manufacturer an email and see what they say but, at the end of the day, the exhaust fitted okay with fairly minimal fettling.
Storkfoot

Postby hullygully » Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:12 am

its not the clamp but the tail pipe you're asking about?
it wouldn't make any diff @ all bud apart from its aesthetics 8-)
hullygully

Postby Storkfoot » Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:39 am

hullygully wrote:its not the clamp but the tail pipe you're asking about?
it wouldn't make any diff @ all bud apart from its aesthetics 8-)

I was struggling to think of a word that differentiated the exhaust from the cloverleaf type tailpipe. I just tried to describe the tailpipe as having been “clamped” :D

Perhaps squashed would have been better :)
Storkfoot

Postby nickw » Fri Oct 22, 2021 1:18 pm

Lol glad that was explained. I have the same problem with a recent GP restoration with the (same?) exhaust pipe. Unfortunately the exhaust is what I thought the closest to original and didn't realise until it was fitted.
nickw

Postby Warkton Tornado No.1 » Fri Oct 22, 2021 2:13 pm

If the positioning of the oval end needs to be (wait for it....) re-orientated, then it can be done.

The exhaust is best left in situ as that provides a secure holding method.

TBH, many of us 'back in the day' would just make the end circular by tapping in the correct sized 'former' as that offers the greatest area for purging the exhaust. A tapered broom handle is often sufficient, though 1/2"drive sockets in stages are good as they can be turned to prevent jamming.

As soon as the end is round again, the process needs repeating with yet another former of the desired shape. wood, hard plastic, steel or whatever will work. If the existing shape is precisely as desired (but in the wrong orientation) then make the final former to suit from it - as a pattern - prior to doing anything else.

I hope that makes sense :D
Warkton Tornado No.1

Postby Storkfoot » Fri Oct 22, 2021 4:09 pm

I do understand :)

Thankfully, I don’t suffer from OCD. I am just going to say that it is a special modification to aid banking over on to my knee sliders :P
Storkfoot

Postby Storkfoot » Fri Oct 22, 2021 4:11 pm

nickw wrote:Lol glad that was explained. I have the same problem with a recent GP restoration with the (same?) exhaust pipe. Unfortunately the exhaust is what I thought the closest to original and didn't realise until it was fitted.

Scootopia by any chance?

I have emailed them for comments. In my experience, they do respond even if it takes a few days.
Storkfoot

Postby TurboTrev » Fri Oct 22, 2021 5:12 pm

The Scootopia version had quite an angle on it so I went for a Tutto on my SX150 and it's just about straight.

TurboTrev

Postby nickw » Fri Oct 22, 2021 7:06 pm

Yep was Scootopia. Reading the blurb it looks as though they are meant to be like that?
quote 'We now have factory standard GP/DL exhausts that come with a manifold and clamp. These are made to the same quality as our clubmans and come with the original Innocenti & IGM stamps'.

Couldn't find any Tutto exhausts to compare
nickw

Postby Storkfoot » Fri Oct 22, 2021 8:03 pm

I did try and find a Tutto exhaust in the UK at the outset. I couldn’t, so went for the Scootopia one. If or when I get a response from Scootopia, I’ll let you know.

That looks a lovely SX150, TT.
Storkfoot

Postby TurboTrev » Fri Oct 22, 2021 8:23 pm

Storkfoot wrote:I did try and find a Tutto exhaust in the UK at the outset. I couldn’t, so went for the Scootopia one. If or when I get a response from Scootopia, I’ll let you know.

That looks a lovely SX150, TT.

Thanks, I restored it a couple of years ago. The Tutto exhausts are hard to get hold of. Scootopia used to sell them, but I think it might be easier to order them from Italy, but that's a pain.
TurboTrev

Postby vegansydney » Wed Oct 27, 2021 10:04 pm

The 'squashed' tailpipe on late SX/GP/dl should be vertical as per the Tutto Lambretta exhaust on the (very beautiful!) SX pictured above. Tutto Lambretta exhausts are vastly superior in quality and fitment to both Casa and Scootopia. Their GP/dl exhausts come with a 12 month warranty and their S3 'clover leaf' exhausts come with a 24 month warranty. IMHO they are the next best thing to finding a NOS exhaust and roughly the same price as the Casa ones.

Any Tutto Lambretta dealer should have them in stock, or be able to easily order them. Tutto Lambretta dealers include Travel Lambretta (UK), STF Lambretta (IT). You can also order direct from Tutto.

The only Scootopia standard exhaust I'd consider would be the S3 'clover leaf' type as it comes without the internal 'mushroom' baffle, that said I've cut out tail pipes before and rewelded them without issue. As for standard Casa exhausts I had a brand new one that leaked so bad on the roll welded seams that I personally delivered back to Vittorio for a refund. Don't get me wrong Casa make some nice parts, standard exhausts are not one of them.

Very nice SX150! Great restoration. I love small details such as the late kickstart.
vegansydney

Postby Storkfoot » Thu Oct 28, 2021 12:26 am

Scootopia advise me that their exhausts are based on an early GP. They also say that all their standard exhausts for Late SX and GP are the same.
Storkfoot

Postby Warkton Tornado No.1 » Thu Oct 28, 2021 12:30 am

TurboTrev wrote:The Scootopia version had quite an angle on it so I went for a Tutto on my SX150 and it's just about straight.

Lovely & similarly to the 'F' registration SX200 I have as the original headset is the lower type but without the chrome ring The panels are not clip on though, like yours.
Warkton Tornado No.1

Postby citydaz » Thu Oct 28, 2021 8:37 pm

humble wrote:Yes, I think it should be at 180 as you suggest, vertical to scooter if that makes sense?

Ahh, now i understand what you were talking about I agree the pipe should be perpendicular to the road.
My OCD would go off the scale if it wasnt! :x
citydaz

Return to Series 1, 2 & 3