LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Disc Brake Pad wear

Technical help for Series one, two and three Lambrettas. Models include the Li, Li Special, TV, SX, GP, Serveta and API/SIL models

Re: Disc Brake Pad wear

Postby Warkton Tornado No.1 » Tue Nov 02, 2021 5:07 pm

Adjusting the static pad with the OEM M8 screw will not help prevent the pads wearing as they have. The tip of the socket set screw is the only place the back of the static pad is in contact with, so that is not a flat, stable, large perpendicular surface.

One positive thing that was mentioned before is to emulate some race set-ups:

"the static side would not have an adjuster fitted, just large shims of various thickness that fitted snugly"

However, better still (especially if in conjunction with the above) is to pack the slave cylinder in tight beneath the circlip so the chance for uneven pad wear is no longer the result of the actuator flopping about in it's housing. Shims, thick washers filed to fit will do the job & as far as the slave side, the job will only need doing once.....
Warkton Tornado No.1

Postby Storkfoot » Fri Nov 05, 2021 8:04 pm

Thanks again for all your replies. I’ll have a look at what I can do on the static side.

Whilst I am in there, I may well give sintered race pads another go. A bit of searching around on the internet reveals that the Newfren ones are recommended.

https://www.sip-scootershop.com/en/prod ... t_87342100

Is that the case?
Storkfoot

Postby nickw » Fri Nov 05, 2021 8:35 pm

I used those before I went to hydraulic and I had no problems.
These are on eBay at a good price. I use the shop a fair bit because it is just down the road from me.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/124973274580 ... SwXxNgQg9i
nickw

Postby coaster » Fri Nov 05, 2021 8:38 pm

Storkfoot wrote:Thanks again for all your replies. I’ll have a look at what I can do on the static side.

Whilst I am in there, I may well give sintered race pads another go. A bit of searching around on the internet reveals that the Newfren ones are recommended.

https://www.sip-scootershop.com/en/prod ... t_87342100

Is that the case?

Im pretty sure thats what I fitted to mine and I've definately used Newfren in the GTS and liked them
coaster

Postby Warkton Tornado No.1 » Fri Nov 05, 2021 9:43 pm

coaster wrote:Im pretty sure thats what I fitted to mine and I've definately used Newfren in the GTS and liked them

That'll be a 911 Carrera 4 GTS, I suppose..... :mrgreen:
Warkton Tornado No.1

Postby coaster » Fri Nov 05, 2021 11:59 pm

Warkton Tornado No.1 wrote:
coaster wrote:Im pretty sure thats what I fitted to mine and I've definately used Newfren in the GTS and liked them

That'll be a 911 Carrera 4 GTS, I suppose..... :mrgreen:

No Ive got Brembo's on that ;) :lol: .....I wish 8-)
coaster

Postby Storkfoot » Sat Nov 06, 2021 8:45 am

nickw wrote:I used those before I went to hydraulic and I had no problems.
These are on eBay at a good price. I use the shop a fair bit because it is just down the road from me.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/124973274580 ... SwXxNgQg9i

Thanks. I don’t think they are sintered although I may well give them a go.

I have looked at other pictures of the type you link to and they have grooves cut into them to aid water dispersal. Surely, the grooves would just wear out?

There seem to be a lot of different pads out there with adverts with deliberately rubbish photographs too. How come the German shops seem to be able to take an in focus picture, front and back?
Storkfoot

Previous

Return to Series 1, 2 & 3