LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Rear hub seal replacement

Technical help for Series one, two and three Lambrettas. Models include the Li, Li Special, TV, SX, GP, Serveta and API/SIL models

Rear hub seal replacement

Postby Specialcase » Tue Nov 02, 2021 11:50 am

Hi all
No rear brakes, hub off and oil everywhere, new bearings & seals fitted when engine rebuilt about 100mls ago. Bearing is ok as no play or rocking so just gonna change seal insitu. I did read somewhere about fitting the seal by using a section of a thin plastic water bottle to slide it over! Can anybody shed some light on that? Also is there anything else I should know about as this is a big job for my limited experience!
Cheers all
Spl
Specialcase

Re: Rear hub seal replacement

Postby Warkton Tornado No.1 » Tue Nov 02, 2021 12:05 pm

There is very likely some sort of support ring (such as a cut-off bottle top) that should make things easier for you, but remember that the lip should face the higher pressure contents it is trying to contain, in this case, the gearbox oil.

The lack of lubrication will cause a seal to wear out & the surface that the lip runs on should not be too polished. For the oil to be retained in the area that the seal lip runs, it is worth just making the surface a little 'matt' by Scotchbriting it.
Warkton Tornado No.1

Postby Specialcase » Sun Nov 07, 2021 6:07 pm

Thanks WT1 notes and will do
Spl
Specialcase

Postby hullygully » Mon Nov 08, 2021 10:02 am

also have a check around the outside of the brg as it fits in the casing, you could have a leak there instead of the seal
hullygully

Postby Toddy » Mon Nov 08, 2021 9:24 pm

hullygully wrote:also have a check around the outside of the brg as it fits in the casing, you could have a leak there instead of the seal

I’ve had that on an engine before :(
Toddy

Postby Fast n Furious » Mon Nov 08, 2021 10:46 pm

I've got an indian GP on the bench at the moment with a leaking seal around the outer edge. I doubt it's an undersized seal. Most proably an oversized bore, in which case, I hope to get away with wrapping a new seal with a bit of PTFE tape to pack it out. :idea:
Fast n Furious

Postby Warkton Tornado No.1 » Tue Nov 09, 2021 12:38 am

Fast n Furious wrote:I've got an indian GP on the bench at the moment with a leaking seal around the outer edge. I doubt it's an undersized seal. Most proably an oversized bore, in which case, I hope to get away with wrapping a new seal with a bit of PTFE tape to pack it out. :idea:

That may work well, but I'd be more inclined to use an oil proof sealant, preferably non-setting. If concentricity is a concern, it shouldn't be, as any eccentricity will be 'static' once assembled & seals can cope with a fair amount without compromise. Red Hermetite should work.

The alternative is to source an alternative to the inevitable Rolf, which IMHO have a less compliant outer covering. The designations have changed of late, but Type 'A' is the one to go for nowadays.
Warkton Tornado No.1

Postby Leotech » Tue Nov 09, 2021 7:18 pm

Also check the O ring on the layshaft. 20mm x 2mm Viton ones are available on eBay fairly cheaply
Leotech

Postby gp200ts1 » Wed Nov 10, 2021 7:06 am

Leotech wrote:Also check the O ring on the layshaft. 20mm x 2mm Viton ones are available on eBay fairly cheaply

why would you need a viton o-ring in this location? seems like some dealers are selling sets of 5 viton seals when only 2 come into contact with unleaded and are required.
gp200ts1

Postby Leotech » Wed Nov 10, 2021 10:15 am

You don't need viton for any reason other than they were the ones I found.
Leotech

Postby Fast n Furious » Wed Nov 17, 2021 1:23 am

Well... the seal was completely goosed and so was the bearing.... and the brake shoes
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Fast n Furious

Postby hullygully » Wed Nov 17, 2021 10:07 am

strewth!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I had that happen to me coming home from a LCGB do in Blackpool, used the M62 all the way home, but mine was a Casa rear hub bearing, top of the range @ the time, BUT plastic ballie spacers that split into 3 sections!!!! :shock:
hullygully

Postby Warkton Tornado No.1 » Wed Nov 17, 2021 11:29 am

Fast n Furious wrote:Well... the seal was completely goosed and so was the bearing.... and the brake shoes

It makes you wonder whether there is such a thing as 'product liability' when a component has been sold that should be as reliable as the OEM part.....

Upon the launch of so many 'uprated' parts, they are usually accompanied with a great fanfare & seemingly the almost exclusive facility of a certain Facebook site.

Now we see yet another failure, I can't hear any trumpets..... :?
Warkton Tornado No.1

Postby hullygully » Wed Nov 17, 2021 11:34 am

I received an apologetic letter from Italy & a replacement brg, but that didn't go back in my TS1 :?
but there was no mention of my laundry bill for the cleaning of my shreddies :lol:
hullygully

Postby Fast n Furious » Thu Nov 18, 2021 2:32 am

This bearing was the original Indian one as fitted 40 years ago. There was bits of mangled metal bearing cage everywhere.
The ironic thing is..... it was in for a holed piston repair...... had it run for a few more miles, then all 21 stone of him might have come a right cropper!

Gods and their mysterious ways eh?
Fast n Furious

Postby Fast n Furious » Thu Nov 18, 2021 2:56 am

IMG-20211118-WA0002 (2).jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Fast n Furious

Postby ULC Soulagent » Thu Nov 18, 2021 4:20 pm

That’s a big hole :o
ULC Soulagent

Postby Fast n Furious » Fri Nov 19, 2021 3:09 am

Yeah.... the molten ally got all jammed up down the side of the piston which then wrecked the cylinder plating. :cry:
Fast n Furious

Return to Series 1, 2 & 3