LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Frame Twisted?

Technical help for Series one, two and three Lambrettas. Models include the Li, Li Special, TV, SX, GP, Serveta and API/SIL models

Frame Twisted?

Postby d.godwin@virgin.net » Thu Nov 04, 2021 5:21 pm

Good afternoon everyone. I'm new to LCGB and Scooters in general, so please be patient with me.
I've traditionally bought and restored motorbikes (sports bikes, tourers, etc), but I've always fancied a Lambretta, so earlier this year I bought myself a 1963 Li125 Project from Marco at the Scooter Emporium. I'll be honest, I' a little disappointed with quite how much was wrong with it, as it's much worse than they made out. That's another story however.

Before I get to my question, I should probably point out that I'm not a 'purest' when it comes to Lambretta's as I can't afford to be. I simply don't know enough about them to be a purest. Therefore, the restoration project I'm working on is not perfect, it's costing my soooo much money, they colour(s) aren't original but I'm falling more and more in love with it, every minute and every penny I send on it.

There, you now know to look away if you insist that scooters should be kept 100% original. On to my question:

As per the attached image, looking down over the rear end of the scooter, where the rear light and number plate should be, it appears to be twisted out of shape. I'm assuming this isn't 'normal' so I'd really appreciate any advice on what and where to get this sorted. I had an idea that I could try and straighten it myself using a long length of wood attached horizontally across the back of the scooter to twist it back straight. Is this a stupid idea?

Also, having a nightmare trying to get the gear changes working. I've lined it up in neutral, tapes in position, run the cables "front to back and back to front" as per the advice, but it just seems really sloppy and often does change (the scooter doesn't run yet so this is a dry setup on the stand). Is it normal for cable alignment to be a bit troublesome?

Thanks in advance

Dalton
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
d.godwin@virgin.net

Re: Frame Twisted?

Postby hullygully » Thu Nov 04, 2021 5:44 pm

just bend it back in alignment your self bud, but check if the side cans still fit during the process, & the rear muddie also

as for the gear cables :shock: , sometimes you need 2 pairs of hands, sometimes put it in 1st gear on the engine & line the '1' up with the headset arrow.
the main problems are slackness in all the componants from the gear change on the headset down to the gear selector arm on the engine, cure that lot first bud
I'm sure a grown up will come along & advise you another tried & tested way
hullygully

Postby dickie » Thu Nov 04, 2021 5:59 pm

It would be worth taking a look at this thread. There's a link within it to another post, where I had the same problem. This link also includes the dimensions you should end up with. If you push it in too far, your panels will be prone to falling off, not far enough and you'll struggle to get them on.

http://www.ilambretta.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=14271
dickie

Postby Warkton Tornado No.1 » Thu Nov 04, 2021 10:58 pm

Welcome to the Forum! :D

The frame is twisted, but correcting it is just a case of logic & care.

If you want to try & save the paint, you could create some leverage by attaching two metal bars. The lower bar is best on the inside of the frame, spaced off to clear the guttering (side panel attachment channels) with something - stacks of penny washers will do - using the number plate/side panel clip holes. The other bar uses the light fitting holes but there is little option than to run it outside, but it is worth spacing off the frame to allow checking that the side panels fit nicely. The bars will be a visual guide as to how much you need to tweak the frame as they will exaggerate the twist.

It will take you longer to set up the bars than it will to straighten out the frame!
Warkton Tornado No.1

Postby coaster » Thu Nov 04, 2021 11:49 pm

Welcome to the world of Lambretta, as has been said, the frame hoop is easy to straighten by hand. The part that is twisted is called the Frame Hoop and is a fairly light gauge steel with heavier gauge bracing where support is required such as under the rear rack mounting holes. There is no additionl bracing behind your twisted section so Id be inclined to try sitting behind it and just pushing with one hand and pulling with the other. If that doesnt work then use WT's bar method, a stout length of timber would do if you dont have ant stell bar handy.

As for the gear change, you probably have play at the end of the handle bars where the gear change spindle connects to the gearr changer. The early type is steel on steel but later versions have a nylon bush and both types are prone to wear. Also check for play where the selector arm goes into the gearbox at the back of the engine, yours should be secured to the splined selector shaft with a 10mm pinch bolt and can work lose. While down there, check that there is no play in the gear linkage connecting the cables to the selector arm.

Good luck, you'll get there 8-)
coaster

Postby d.godwin@virgin.net » Fri Nov 05, 2021 10:56 am

Good morning everyone,

Just wanted to say a huge thank you to everyone who replied and offered such friendly advice. Good to know I was on the right track with regards to the frame, and the advice about the gears will no doubt be useful too.

No doubt I'll be back on here with even more newbie questions. Your help is very much appreciated and you knowledge very much respected. Have a good Friday everyone

Dalton
d.godwin@virgin.net

Postby nickw » Fri Nov 05, 2021 8:30 pm

Hi Dalton, welcome to the forum. Only to add to Coaster's excellent advice is I have owned Lambrettas for a good few years and still cannot get my gears sorted straight away :lol:
nickw

Postby GoonerKev » Sun Nov 07, 2021 11:20 pm

Invest in "Sticky's" book, The complete Spanner Manual for Lambretta. Brilliant book.
GoonerKev

Return to Series 1, 2 & 3